Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #31
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
No update on the teacher calling yet- though I did send her a note to call me at her earliest convenience (written on the planner that she signed today and must have seen). Instead I got a progress report in his backpack that says he has a C- in TWO main subjects! He had three As and two Bs at the quarter report so this is a huge drop. It's also the FIRST time I've seen any sign of a low grade. His hw is good, his papers are good coming home minus the random oops paper. Definitely not almost D quality work. I'm finding my annoyance skyrocketing.

Advertisement

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #32
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help with 7yo school issue?

Is it too late to switch teachers?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #33
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Switching teachers would be hard on him as he doesn't handle transition well. At this point it would be more beneficial to him to work it out with the current teacher and let him be where he is comfortable.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #34
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Update: Spoke with the teacher this morning before school. She was a little defensive which I expected. I told her we were disappointed in the lack of communication and that procedure wasn't followed. She said she will retest him okay. She also said the referral was the principals decision, she did not send him for one. I told her I feel it may be time to reevaluate his qualifications for an IEP or 504 and she didn't really have an opinion about that. When I asked why his grade had dropped so much without a note about it she said 'a C is average and not behind'. I said a C- is a smidge away from a D and if it's falling then he is obviously not grasping some concepts or is testing poorly and that's not where we want him to be. She told me shed have the principal call to discuss the referral and we got off the phone. There was not much more than that said.

The principal called a few mins ago and she assured me the referral was not disciplinary, that it was used as a net home and no further action was taken. She apologized for the lack of communication, said it was end of day when this happened and she was busy and didn't take the time to call. She admitted that she should have called. I brought up that the spelling word list was on the board and because of that, that Dh and I felt he may not have intended to cheat but that he may have just been trying to be done first. She actually agreed with this theory because she said he wasn't remorseful for his actions and was forthcoming with all information and didn't try to hide it or come up with an excuse (which she said is more classic behavior for a 2nd grader caught cheating). He was very matter of fact about the whole thing. This led her to believe it wasn't intentional dishonesty or cheating. She asked us if we would like to speak with the counselor and sped teacher regarding a 504 plan. She feels it would be a good fit for him at this point and allow him to be monitored more closely. We are open to that and will have a meeting after the holiday.

I feel I got my point across and having another chance to make an education/behavior plan to help him stay on track is what makes it with it.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #35
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hooray for a good outcome. They understand you are concerned. They now know you aren't going to let this drop. They now know you EXPECT communication. Hopefully your 504 meeting goes well.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #36
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree. The most important thing to convey was that communication is vital. I've already spoken to the counselor and the sped teacher and they are not convinced he will qualify as 'the need must be substantial' but its a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the advice and validation that I needed to speak up to the school. Sometimes it takes another mom to say 'something isn't right here'.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #37
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaiya View Post
Is it too late to switch teachers?
That isn't always the answer. The problem here is communication. What is expected by the teacher and the parent. (meaning what the parent is expecting) Not saying the parent is being demanding...not at all--but there needs to be some form of communication for grades/behavior on a daily basis.

Did you have any indication that his grade slipped? Other tests/work that showed C- work? THAT WOULD BE MY ISSUE!!!!! When a student's work/grade changes, I notify the parent; they have tests etc. that show that.

Go to the principal about the IEP. Directly email or send in a letter stating you want a meeting. The teacher is not the only one who can request one. Parents have every right to do so.

I would also call the school and request her email. It may be that they didn't update the site.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #38
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by debmom2boyz

That isn't always the answer. The problem here is communication. What is expected by the teacher and the parent. (meaning what the parent is expecting) Not saying the parent is being demanding...not at all--but there needs to be some form of communication for grades/behavior on a daily basis.

Did you have any indication that his grade slipped? Other tests/work that showed C- work? THAT WOULD BE MY ISSUE!!!!! When a student's work/grade changes, I notify the parent; they have tests etc. that show that.

Go to the principal about the IEP. Directly email or send in a letter stating you want a meeting. The teacher is not the only one who can request one. Parents have every right to do so.

I would also call the school and request her email. It may be that they didn't update the site.
Ive already spoken with the teacher and principal and came up with a plan. We are setting up a meeting for a 504 plan. He won't qualify for an IEP. He *may* not even qualify for the 504. No I didn't feel his work coming home was C- quality. He did well with the random poor score thrown in. Of course when I brought this up the teachers response to me was 'Well I don't know, you have the work. If you kept it all then you'll know why he is struggling and with what'. I do know ANY parent who keeps all papers coming home. I wasn't alarmed by anything in particular. Nothing said to me 'call the teacher, looks like its getting worse'. Kwim? We'll deal with it at the meeting. Sometime in the next week or two.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #39
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does your district post grades online? I can check my kids grades online at any time and I do it at least once a week (older two are in 5th grade and youngest is in 2nd). It shows all tests and assignments and I can pinpoint the areas of issue.

I teach high school and we have online grades so its a bit different but there is no way I can call the parents when the grades begin to slip. That would be me knowing what everyone's grade in each area was at all times. No way I can do it with 190 students but I doubt I could do it with 36. The parents and kids can access the grades and they have the papers. Both should help them know when there is a slip occurring.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #40
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
Ive already spoken with the teacher and principal and came up with a plan. We are setting up a meeting for a 504 plan. He won't qualify for an IEP. He *may* not even qualify for the 504. No I didn't feel his work coming home was C- quality. He did well with the random poor score thrown in. Of course when I brought this up the teachers response to me was 'Well I don't know, you have the work. If you kept it all then you'll know why he is struggling and with what'. I do know ANY parent who keeps all papers coming home. I wasn't alarmed by anything in particular. Nothing said to me 'call the teacher, looks like its getting worse'. Kwim? We'll deal with it at the meeting. Sometime in the next week or two.
The teacher is the one with the issue. She said that to you--you have the grades? EEKK! It was her job to tell you that he is struggling. Glad the principal agreed with you!

I had a 504 for a student that didn't have any academic issues, however she had one for testing, writing in her agenda her homework. A 504 would be a good route. Try to think of things that you do at home that they may be able to do at school. It's hard if the teacher isn't communicating with you.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote