Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thanksgiving home-made musts!

Everything but the cranberry sauce. I'd rather eat my own socks than boxed mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving.

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #22
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Potatoes, for sure. I made homemade potatoes au gratin for the first time at Christmas last year, and it was SO good!!! I tried to making stuffing and it just wasn't that great I'm going to attempt to make an apple pie and a cheesecake from scratch this year. We will see if my morning sickness cooperates!

We also make homemade rolls and DH makes homemade whipped cream for the pie.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #23
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everything for us but dd has food allergies so we don't have a choice on certain things.

I am ok with stove top stuffing- actually prefer it

And I'd be ok with a store cooked turkey if mil is making the turkey- I love the woman to death but she makes the driest and most flavorless turkey and gravy ever to be served.

They usually buy rolls too, but I would prefer to make them

All desserts that I want our homemade, but I don't mind store bought pies. Don't really have a preference- I prefer to make them and its a requirement with dd's allergies. Homemade cake over store bought always

Hate boxed mashed potatoes and canned yams - those really need to be fresh and homemade. I don't like cranberry sauce at all but the stuff coming out of the can looks wrong.

I also don't like green bean casserole or anything in it except the green beans so I usually make me and dd fresh greens beans sauteed with dried cranberries and onions. Has to be my favorite way to eat green beans. Its one of the few times dd's allergies actually helps us- no one has hurt feelings if I make (and eat- dd can't be singled out and the only one eating the special dishes ) special dishes for dd.

Last edited by jbug_4; 11-20-2012 at 11:39 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddys_mama View Post
Potatoes, for sure. I made homemade potatoes au gratin for the first time at Christmas last year, and it was SO good!!! I tried to making stuffing and it just wasn't that great I'm going to attempt to make an apple pie and a cheesecake from scratch this year. We will see if my morning sickness cooperates!

We also make homemade rolls and DH makes homemade whipped cream for the pie.
Cheesecake is not near as hard as some people make it out- My dh makes a really good one. Just regular cheesecake with choc graham crust, cake is topped with sliced strawberries and then he drizzles chocolate and caramel over top. he made for my first b-day we were together. I told him he was going to regret that one- i ask for it all the time.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Everything from scratch.

I typically make:

Turkey (Brine and then roast)
Stuffing (I have a killer apple stuffing recipe)
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green Beans (sauteed with bacon and onions)
Cranberry Sauce (cranberries, OJ, sugar)
Dinner rolls (make the dough in the breadmaker and then shape/bake)
Apple Pie (crust and filling homemade)
Pumpkin Pie (crust and filling homemade)
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #26
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark View Post
Everything but the cranberry sauce. I'd rather eat my own socks than boxed mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #27
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do like a pumpkin dump cake- it is just delicious. But if we do a pie ( and we might, we are having lots of food and the cake should be enough as we roll around in a stupor afterwards) I will do it all homemade
Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #28
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkaK View Post
I do like a pumpkin dump cake- it is just delicious. But if we do a pie ( and we might, we are having lots of food and the cake should be enough as we roll around in a stupor afterwards) I will do it all homemade
Could you share the recipe you use? I love dump cake, but I'm not sure how I'd do the pumpkin.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #29
RJ6Mommy
Registered Users
seller

Everything except i using canned green beans, jello, and my sister in law isbuying a pumpkin pie because we have never made pies but we are gonna try apple.
Erin married to Justin since 3/2/02 , EBF, CDing, BWing, vaxing, SAHM to 7 Kids, 6 on earth and 1 in heaven. Ruben James 9/10/99 , Robert Justin 10/5/02 , Rebecca Joy 12/5/03 , Raychel Jolee 3/30/05 , **Russell Jack RIP 12/14/06**, Rylan Josiah 7/3/08 , Ramsee Jayce 4/24/11
RJ6Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #30
grahamcracker
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that prefers everything homemade! My in-laws always offer to bring something but it is always made from a box so I started telling them no thank you I have it covered. I think they wonder why I always let me family bring food but not them. We grew up on almost everything homemade and that's what I like for my family. I try not to cook too much from a box during normal everyday life so I definitley want it homemade for the holidays!