Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered Users
PIS vs Ameda purely yours if PIS - tote or metro? Lots of detailed ?s on products?

Okay if I go with medela I will go pis PIS over freestyle. If I do PIS do I do tote or metro. I am thinking not back back as it does not have much room. But what I here the metro,does not even close and things fall out and some do no like the softer cups. Though I though that would be better for effecient pumping. So the tote would give harder flanges, and still portable, pump can come out of bag,and plus the bag has more storage I think. Only problem with pump is milk backing into tubing or condensation causing mold. Plus I am sure I would need bigger flanges but I do not see where I can get them from places I can order from. Also what I here is when you go biggler flanges with medela - yes the nipple hole size gets bigger but so does the flange outside part, which is not what I need, I am not super huge that way, just for the nipple part.

So doing some research on the Ameda Purely Yours. I like that is is closed system and so will not have to worry about the condensation in tubes and baking up which makes for more cleaning. This is nice. Also nice that it includes many flange sizes. That if I understand correctly more size to just the nipple size and not making the whole cone bigger. Since bigger actually cone size can make for to big for actuall breast size, for those that just need the nipple size bigger. Correct me if I am not right in this sizing with Ameda?

But it seems the Ameda motor can sometimes get weeker faster or burn out. Also that it makes an annoying beeping sound. And does not seem as strong or effecient, in get more milk(ozs) out per session as the medela. Seems this can be a big thing. Just not as strong or as good in the way it does it? Maybe also less parts to to replace?

Also which is better for getting parts easily.

PLEASE please give me your low downs. It has been stressing me and I have been up all hours a night trying to read about them. And with a newborn that is not good.

Hope to order pump today. I will be pumping 2 or 3 times a day. Want to build a stash for when wean time comes. But with so many little times, I want my pump time effecient, or I will give up, easy to clean up afterwards, but also getting the most milk it can in the shortest time it can.

Thanks kindly for all you help.

Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
7arrows4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: PIS vs Ameda purely yours if PIS - tote or metro? Lots of detailed ?s on products

I've owned 3 pump in styles, 2 of the totes, and one was a backpack. I prefer the backpack by far. I think it has more usable space and is much handier to carry when you have a ton of things. You can buy bigger flanges online through amazon or our target carries them. You CAN take the pumps out of the pump in styles. They just velcro in.

Have you looked into a Hygeia? They have a 3 year warranty (longest warranty in the industry), and also have a closed system. They come standard with a larger flange size. I have a Hygeia Enjoye and it's really nice. I just got so used to the PIS's that they work better for me. If I was starting at the beginning, I'd get a Hygeia.
Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: PIS vs Ameda purely yours if PIS - tote or metro? Lots of detailed ?s on products

I loved my Ameda Purely Yours.
Mom to R (2008) L (2009) J (2010) and F (2012)
My Mommy Blog Nursing Giveaway Going On NOW!
Find Me On Facebook and Twitter
AmandaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Registered Users
I have a Pump In Style Advanced (tote) that I LOVED. I NEVER had a problem with mold. When I washed the tubes (about every half a dozen times I washed the other parts) I would let them air dry as much as possible first, then hook them up to the pump and run the pump until they dried (per the user manual instructions for cleaning the tubing). I used it for 15 months (not full time, but regularly, probably average once or twice a day) and it is still going strong. I bought replacement parts when I bought my pump and haven't had to use any of them.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Registered Users

OP, your post said you planned to order same day, did you order? If so, how's it working out? And if not, did you still want input?
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I own both. I bought the PY with my first daughter, and the Medela partway through with my second daughter.

I like the Medela better. There are less parts to assemble. I was forever having something in the PY not in "just so" and it wouldn't work right. My only complaint is that I don't like that you can't take the Medela pump out of the bag very easily. While I was pumping, I would get milk drips on the flap to the bag. I think it is a crappy design. But I like the horns much better for Medela.

I got the same amount of milk from both.
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote