Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ingenious child wrangling tips

I am sure everyone has a few of these. I have a toddler and am seriously appreciating ones I come across

Want to share?

My favorite is from my mom and I was reminded by reading the stocking thread. Her rule was that on Christmas morning you could wake up whenever you wanted but parents couldn't be woken until after 8. Before eight you could play with whatever was in the stockings so my brother and I always each had a new movie. That bought at least three hours of entertainment in the mornings and depending on how many other cousins were visiting would buy more time.

Advertisement

Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Ingenious child wrangling tips

My mum used to play 'hibernating hedgehog' with us. She would go to sleep on the sofa and my sisters and I would cover her with blankets and sprinkle 'leaves' on her, and then be very, very quiet so that we wouldn't wake the hedgehog before winter was over.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
My mum used to play 'hibernating hedgehog' with us. She would go to sleep on the sofa and my sisters and I would cover her with blankets and sprinkle 'leaves' on her, and then be very, very quiet so that we wouldn't wake the hedgehog before winter was over.
Awesome.

With regards to Christmas, my brothers and I always exchanged presents on Christmas eve after dinner. And, oddly, we ALWAYS gave each other board games. Which conveniently kept us occupied for the rest of the evening.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My sister and I each got 2 stockings: one in the living room and one at the end of our bed. We could take the ones from our bed into their room to open slowly while they woke up. Kinda funny now!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Hehe, I'm enjoying these :-)
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3

Awesome.

With regards to Christmas, my brothers and I always exchanged presents on Christmas eve after dinner. And, oddly, we ALWAYS gave each other board games. Which conveniently kept us occupied for the rest of the evening.
This is a really good idea!
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
BabyCentric
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum View Post
Your mom is a genius!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Our kids can tell when it is 8am.

We have a new rule we recently put in force. If you wake up before your clock says 8am, you need to stay in bed and be quiet. (which isn't actually as big a deal as it sounds, they typically wake around 7:45am)

After 8am, you may get up very quietly and play quietly with books or play doh until mommy and daddy wake up (usually around 8:15am).

We always hear them calling to each other from their beds in their bedrooms (our house is small, and all 3 bedrooms are right next to each other) like inmates in prison or something... They'll open their door as quietly as they can and then scramble back in bed and then whisper loudly "[Sister] Are you awake?" And she replies "yes [brother] I'm awake! It's almost 8 o'clock!"

It buys us about 30 mins to half-sleep while we listen to them.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Our kids can tell when it is 8am.

We have a new rule we recently put in force. If you wake up before your clock says 8am, you need to stay in bed and be quiet. (which isn't actually as big a deal as it sounds, they typically wake around 7:45am)

After 8am, you may get up very quietly and play quietly with books or play doh until mommy and daddy wake up (usually around 8:15am).

We always hear them calling to each other from their beds in their bedrooms (our house is small, and all 3 bedrooms are right next to each other) like inmates in prison or something... They'll open their door as quietly as they can and then scramble back in bed and then whisper loudly "[Sister] Are you awake?" And she replies "yes [brother] I'm awake! It's almost 8 o'clock!"

It buys us about 30 mins to half-sleep while we listen to them.
We do this too. Except it's 830 and the kids usually get up around 8. They frequently "talk" to each other through the doors. We started it when DD was 6 months because DS would get up and yell and bang things and wake her up, making her cranky.

For Christmas my parents used to let me play with Santa gifts until my mom got home from work, and my dad would nap in the chair in the living room. As my mom stopped working 3rd shift, we'd get up early do presents, then have nap after all the presents had been opened and we had breakfast.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We have an alarm clock in their room, and they are allowed to come out of their room before it goes off, ONLY to go potty, then they have to go back to their room. They may play in their room until the alarm goes off. It buys me an extra 30 to 40 mins in the morning usually.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote