Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #41
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila
This whole thread bothers me. I'm a teacher and have worked in many different kinds of districts. In one district, we had room parents and the teachers were given many gifts. They were organized by the room parent or individual parents, and we were never involved in requesting or asking for gifts. I just always thought it was sweet of anyone to think of us. I now work in a very impoverished area, and we are lucky to get a piece of candy from a student, and when I do, I feel just as grateful to be thought of. It really doesn't matter what you give a teacher, but the wonderful thing is that you show that they are thought of.
This poor teacher probably has no idea what is going on behind the scenes, and she is being made out to be a greedy person here. Shame on everyone for even thinking that. She gives her all every day for those children, and in no way, made it a personal request, to receive a gift. I think it is sweet of the room parent to have asked or caught on that she desired a ipad, and if she is wanting to help make that happen then good for her. Teachers spend a ton, don't even ask, of money on their students and classroom. I make it a point to buy my own kids' teachers good gifts each year because of all that they do, but in no way, do they expect it. I just want them to know how much we appreciate what they do. Teaching is not a 8-3 job; we take work home in the evenings and weekends, and I've been known to grade on the commute to work in the morning (hubby driving of course). It takes a lot of time out of our own family time. Appreciation doesn't have to be monetary. A sweet note or a student's drawing are all ways to show the love. Just show love, and quit acting like it is horrible that anyone would request you chip in to get a teacher a gift. Nobody is required to chip in. If you don't want to, then don't. AND who cares if she wants it for home or school. That's ridiculous. Would you gift your hairdresser or doctor only something they could use in their place of work?
Merry Christmas, Doc. I got you this speculum. Happy New Year.

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #42
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

Hysterical!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #43
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I wrong in thinking that this is a bit much...teacher gift question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
LOL!!!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #44
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't be mad about it though since it wasn't the teacher asking for it, but I'd just continue to give her whatever you had already planned. If you were getting a $10 gc, I'd probably just make it out to target. Maybe the room mom already knows that the teacher is already planning on purchasing it and wants to gather as much as she can to lower the expense and doesn't necessarily think that it's going to be completely paid for. I'm impressed that you know what you're getting though. My DD's kindy teacher is wonderful and I can't figure out what to get for her .
Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #45
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Honestly it sounds like the teacher has no idea. You could get a gift card in whatever amount the mug would have cost or just do the mug. I think the teacher will be happy no matter what. (the room mom might not be happy but honestly it doesn't matter what she thinks)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #46
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymama
I wouldn't have a problem with that one bit. Like PP said, just do the $10 gift card to Target instead of Panera or Starbucks. Or forgo the candy and add that money to it too. I much prefer to give a gift that will be used than more stuff.
Yes, I think say you already have a gift (a really great one, I think!), or do a $10 target gift card instead of a Starbucks one.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #47
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hmm, I already posted but I have to add.. I used to be a teacher before my SAHM adventure began - I'm sure the teacher has no idea (like others have said). However, I'd have been mortified to receive a gift that generous from my students. And, it's likely I'd have used the iPad for my classroom (even if that's not what I wanted it for originally) due to the extravagancy. To the PP who mentioned it, I KNOW teaching is a hard (time consuming financially draining) position... However I still think the room mother is cracked to go for a gift this big. Sorry, but 20-30$ is just too much to expect. OP, I say stick with the gift you have but please watch this play out and keep us posted (cuz I'm nosey like that ).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #48
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPerfectLife View Post
Sorry, but 20-30$ is just too much to expect. OP, I say stick with the gift you have but please watch this play out and keep us posted (cuz I'm nosey like that ).
I definitely want an update too. I think the amount really varies depending on where you are. Around here, $30 is pretty normal for my town. A kid at our local middle school had cancer, and during lunch 2 days, they collected enough pocket money from the kids to buy the kid the 3G iPad, a year of 3G, and a case. It was insane. All that for a 6th grader! But where I teach (urban middle school with 85% free lunch), gifts are rare, and usually home baked goods or things from the Dollar Store (it is the thought that counts!)
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #49
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't think
It's out of
Line. Here, a lot of teachers use them in their class. At their own expense. If each parent put in a few bucks, it could minimize her own out if pocket costs.

With that said. You already said you were going to get a gift card for something they each like.. This one likes iPads. Lol. If you already got the gift, no bigs. But really I donMt think it's out of line, considering how much of her own funds she is likely using for class products.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #50
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My thought is that the request has a lot to do with the wording. If the room mom sent an email along the lines of, "hey all, just wanted to let you know that Ms. Soandso was just mentioning how much she'd love to get an iPad. I was thinking that if any of you were planning to get her a gift and hadn't decided what to get her yet, perhaps a gift card to Target would be nice. That way she can combine them together to use towards buying herself one." I wouldn't bat an eye. OTOH, I would be more offended by something more along the lines of the following: "With Christmas coming up, it's time to start thinking about gifts. Ms. Soandso would like an iPad this year. We'll be collecting Target gift cards towards the purchase."
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote