Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #51
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My kids opened their presents

I'd just leave them as they are, corners opened and all. They ruined their surprises. It's just a natural consequence. On Christmas, they won't have the fun of the surprise.

But they will still have to wait until then to fully enjoy the gifts. I'd probably hide them away somewhere before they ruin the fun anymore.

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #52
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

My son doesn't have the impulse control to not open the gifts for a month.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #53
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Oh shoot, I meant to ask though. Do you like the look of presents under the tree? I'd almost wrap a few beautiful empty boxes to look nice, make sure to show the kiddos so they know. I've thought about doing that myself. With an empty box, not too much temptation there!
I did this 2 years ago, because I was sure my then 3 year old would not be able to handle having the presents out without messing with them. I decided I'd leave them out for a week and if she left them alone, I'd put out the real presents. On day 7, I found her under the tree, surrounded by unwrapped boxes and shreds of paper. The real presents went under the tree, and the supergate went around the tree. Last year (age 4) she did fine. She handled the presents a lot, but she didn't open them.

Your boys are older though, and i have to admit, I did much the same thing as PP - snooping in mom's room, shaking, feeling, slicing tape on gifts, I was terrible. Until one year I found out what all my presents were and had no surprises on Christmas. That cured me. It did not cure my sister and my mother had to come up with inventive ways to hide gifts. I remember as a teen putting in a load of laundry and finding a watch for her stuck in a ziplock and buried in the powdered detergent. I did my own laundry, she did not yet.

I'd explain that they hurt your feelings, because part of the fun for you at Christmas is the surprise and that you're disappointed because you told them (I assume) to leave the presents alone. Maybe you can find some way for them to make it up to you. I'd also put the presents up, just in case their lack of self control goes a bit further. Be sure they know that the presents are going away because you feel you can't trust them, and see if you can find a way to help them earn your trust back.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #54
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd just tape up the parts they opened and leave them there. They aren't going to open them again as they already know what is in them.

I would absolutely NOT return them and buy new things.

I had a cousin who opened his presents a few days before xmas(and he was alot older than 4!) When his mom found out he said he wanted her to return them and get new things because he wanted different presents. They didn't. He got to open the presents he had opened.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #55
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think they should be wrapped in duct tape as a punishment lol

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #56
MamaWeeks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree with an earlier post, they ruined their own surprises, let them be. But they definitely have to wait til Christmas to take them out of the box to enjoy them.
MamaWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #57
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

if you really want to punish them id wait till after christmas. Im not sure what id do. We recently had the fed ex guy and amazon ruin one gift. They delivered a toy with just the mail tag on it not wrapped! Then the kid ran to the door and the fed ex guy handed the toy off to ds1(who it was for)!
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #58
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

did they know they were there gifts under the tree? there 4 & 2 right? so they cnt read yet...... what about saying..."these wernt your gifts they were _____ gifts we got for them. would u like it if somone open yours? we need to wrap it bk up so its a surise when they open it."
even tho it is there gift. there soo young they will just think that ____ got the same gift as they did when they open it christmas day.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #59
MamaWeeks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3boys1girl
if you really want to punish them id wait till after christmas. Im not sure what id do. We recently had the fed ex guy and amazon ruin one gift. They delivered a toy with just the mail tag on it not wrapped! Then the kid ran to the door and the fed ex guy handed the toy off to ds1(who it was for)!
Lol, I thought that might happen, I have mine shipped to work instead.
MamaWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #60
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzchen
IMHO, it is unrealistic to expect a 4 year old to have the impulse control to leave wrapped presents within their reach alone. I would have a chat with them about spoiling their own surprise on Christmas morning and leave it at that.
This.
I can't imagine wrapping and leaving the gifts in sight.
Everything at my house goes out Christmas eve after the kids are asleep.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote