Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

The way they're in a vertical line leads me to believe they're where she's scratched herself. My husband and two of my kids have keratosis pilaris (it's very very common), and theirs is bad when it's dry. My husband's are usually pretty even with the skin, but the kids' are raised. I could see them getting bloody very easily. I'd still see a Dr to find our exactly what's going on. Whatever it is is probably exacerbated by the cold dry weather.

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
I have KP and insane dry skin on my arms and legs. From just my experience I would say scratching. Any time I scratch, and catch a KP spot (similar to ingrown hair spots), it rips the layer of skin on/around the follicle off and always bleeds and/or leaves a tiny hole. Usually both. And if it can't heal (from more scratching for example) it gets bloodier and bigger.

I would definitely have it checked out to be safe, but in the beginning of winter when I get 10937742727821x drier, my arms and legs look like that if I scratch.

It totally sucks and never goes away. It always made me super self conscious, because my legs and arms looked like I had razor burn or something 24/7. Loofahs help a lot, and can jar the skin over and around the follicle loose without bleeding and issue. Stick her in the tub/shower, hand her a loofah mitt and let her go to town if she needs to scratch. Then lotion it up!

Also, sal****er. I don't know why, but sal****er makes KP drastically decrease for me. Chlorine also, but who wants to swim in the winter? LOL. You would think it would make it worse, but when it gets really bad for me in the winter, sal****er baths for a few days make it SO much better. I wouldn't do it right now with open places all over obviously, but I figured I'd pass along the tip and see if it could help you later on!

ETA: Random side note, are sure she has dandruff? Seborrheic dermatitis and KP go hand in hand for me and a surprisingly good number of people I know with KP. It's basically cradle cap, but not in babies. And can be in little or large spots. Just curious.

ETA2: Really? Salt.water. Gah.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 11-24-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Scratching/sores: What is this?

I agree that it's scratching. If I scratch too hard on my arms the bumps bleed. I have the condition your daughter has on the backs of my arms and my legs, and I have also had eczema since birth and it involves my scalp from time to time too. The lotion you mentioned, I looked it up since I'd never heard of it and the first two ingredients are alcohol-based which I would think is probably making things a lot worse. This condition and eczema are worsened tenfold by anything drying to the skin. The only lotion my children and myself get any relief from is the unscented aveeno daily or eczema lotion.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #14
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I agree that it's scratching. If I scratch too hard on my arms the bumps bleed. I have the condition your daughter has on the backs of my arms and my legs, and I have also had eczema since birth and it involves my scalp from time to time too. The lotion you mentioned, I looked it up since I'd never heard of it and the first two ingredients are alcohol-based which I would think is probably making things a lot worse. This condition and eczema are worsened tenfold by anything drying to the skin. The only lotion my children and myself get any relief from is the unscented aveeno daily or eczema lotion.
Oh my gosh, I didn't realize! Oh, I feel terrible. Ok, I will go get something else today. She also uses renew or whatever unscented stuff we have around but I will definately go get a different product today. I'm still going to have everyone lay off the gluten because it's definately helped considerably in the past. .Thanks!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #15
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
I have KP and insane dry skin on my arms and legs. From just my experience I would say scratching. Any time I scratch, and catch a KP spot (similar to ingrown hair spots), it rips the layer of skin on/around the follicle off and always bleeds and/or leaves a tiny hole. Usually both. And if it can't heal (from more scratching for example) it gets bloodier and bigger.

I would definitely have it checked out to be safe, but in the beginning of winter when I get 10937742727821x drier, my arms and legs look like that if I scratch.

It totally sucks and never goes away. It always made me super self conscious, because my legs and arms looked like I had razor burn or something 24/7. Loofahs help a lot, and can jar the skin over and around the follicle loose without bleeding and issue. Stick her in the tub/shower, hand her a loofah mitt and let her go to town if she needs to scratch. Then lotion it up!

Also, sal****er. I don't know why, but sal****er makes KP drastically decrease for me. Chlorine also, but who wants to swim in the winter? LOL. You would think it would make it worse, but when it gets really bad for me in the winter, sal****er baths for a few days make it SO much better. I wouldn't do it right now with open places all over obviously, but I figured I'd pass along the tip and see if it could help you later on!

ETA: Random side note, are sure she has dandruff? Seborrheic dermatitis and KP go hand in hand for me and a surprisingly good number of people I know with KP. It's basically cradle cap, but not in babies. And can be in little or large spots. Just curious.

ETA2: Really? Salt.water. Gah.

Thanks for the idea. I wonder how much salt I would need? Just plain old table salt? Sea salt? Maybe we just need to move near the ocean lol! Thanks for the idea. .Oh and I thought Seborrheic derematitis was the same thing as dandruff. It's white, it's flaky, and the poor kid walks around looking like she has a head full of lice. And she has super dark brown, almost black hair. My youngest still has cradle cap though at age three. I hope that's not a sign of things to come
Old 11-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you oil their heads? I use warmed coconut oil and rub it onto the skull with your finger and let it sit on their head for 30 minutes. Then oil and comb out as much dandruff as you can. Then wash. (lightly oil afterward especially if you see a really thick bad spot if it doesn't make their hair look dirty.)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This may sound odd but my neice has the same condition and has been to the dermatologist many many times since about 6m old. They did dietary changes as well as moved to a new home. The only thing that cleared her up was a round of steroids and a warm bath with a cup of Clorox once a week to harbor new breakouts and kill bacteria. Now her skin is amazing. Hope that helps.

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh and neutragena tgel (has tto)

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsallnaughty
This may sound odd but my neice has the same condition and has been to the dermatologist many many times since about 6m old. They did dietary changes as well as moved to a new home. The only thing that cleared her up was a round of steroids and a warm bath with a cup of Clorox once a week to harbor new breakouts and kill bacteria. Now her skin is amazing. Hope that helps.
Steroid creams ruined my arms. I'm so glad they had a good effect on your niece.

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote