Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Quick help - MMR vax and where to put emla patch

My daughter gets her MMR, pneu C and Men C vax tomorrow morning at 9:30. I have two emla patches. We've used them in the past for her other shots, the one that really hurts - pneu C. She's one so this is her first MMR and Men C. I know two of the shots go in the arms and she gets 3 shots. Where should I put the patches? Is the Pneu C in the arm or leg? I'd call in the morning but they open at 9 and the patch has to be on for an hour plus it's a 30 min car ride. I'm in Ontario if that makes a difference.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

They've done all of my kiddos in the thigh...and mmr at 15 months not 1. Good luck!

What is Elma?
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah what is that patch? My little guy got his 1 year shots and some make up ones and they were all in his arms.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
mekat
Registered Users

Re: Quick help - MMR vax and where to put emla patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by knodceo View Post
What is Elma?
RX cream that numbs the skin.
mekat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

We've only gotten shots in the legs so far, she's had up to her 12 month well child.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

My oldest had all shots in the legs until age 2 and my babies have had all shots in the legs so far, too. I'm surprised that anything would go in the arms at that age.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I didn't know what this patch was so I went and looked it up.

I read a few things that caught my eye.
First, it numbs the skin... She's still going to feel pain since muscles are usually sore after a shot.
Second, it said all the doc if you are using before a vaccine. Some vaccines can react poorly to it or it can affect the vaccine.
Third, it says do not use if you are pregnant. I know it's not going on you but I still wouldn't feel comfortable with it. You will have to apply it and handle it.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think the numbing cream does much good really. My ds had to get stitches a couple of weeks ago. They put numbing cream on him, and then said for us to wait about half an hour for it to take effect. We waited longer than that. The doc came in and wanted to give him numbing shots since the cream wouldn't be enough. He definitely felt the numbing shots and screamed like no tomorrow, so I don't think the cream did anything at all to lessen his pain. And he still screamed when they put the stitches in, so I don't even know that the numbing shots did much either

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
I don't think the numbing cream does much good really. My ds had to get stitches a couple of weeks ago. They put numbing cream on him, and then said for us to wait about half an hour for it to take effect. We waited longer than that. The doc came in and wanted to give him numbing shots since the cream wouldn't be enough. He definitely felt the numbing shots and screamed like no tomorrow, so I don't think the cream did anything at all to lessen his pain. And he still screamed when they put the stitches in, so I don't even know that the numbing shots did much either
My son get shots and blood draws. I never bothered to ask for it. I think it would help with a blood draw but since I am never sure where they will find a viable vein to tap I just skip it. Poor boy has bad veins and tons of scaring from blood draws over the years so his best veins are now unusable. I have been thinking about trying this Buzzy for pain relief since it can be moved to another area if the vein rolls or blows during a draw. I just wish I knew how effective Buzzy is but I may try it anyway because the blood draws are so traumatizing.

Last edited by mekat; 11-25-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: shorten post and fix link
mekat is online now   Reply With Quote