Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #101
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: My kids opened their presents

Glad to read your update.

I kept thinking about this issue from the future. At family get togethers when your now 4 year olds are 25, how do you want to remember this Christmas - as the one where everyone was sad and miserable because there were no gifts for the 4 year olds and because everyone knew it -- or the year that the kids were kids and peeked at their gifts? Which memory would I want? I know personally which way I would go.

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #102
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspnut82 View Post
All these posts about taking away presents is upsetting. People would really disappoint a 4 year old on Christmas morning because he spoiled his own surprise? Kids wait for this all year, so what if they found out a little early.
Just have a convo with them, "now you know what you are getting, you won't be surprised on Christmas, do you understand?" Next year do not put them out so early. and if you do put them out before Christmas tell them again how you don't want them to spoil their own surprise, you want to see the look on their face when they see it, it's more fun that way. So do not touch them.
I put them out Christmas eve after they are in bed. They don't need to be tortured by looking at them all day/night knowing they are for them but they can't touch them. Maybe when they're older, but my oldest is 6.5 and still to young imo.
So agree. I kept feeling like gifts with strings attached.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #103
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomstl
Update:

So I had a little chat with my boys and they said they were sorry multiple times. I took the presents downstairs and hid them while they were having quiet time in their room. I explained to them that they will no longer be surprised. I learned *my* lesson and I agree that they are only 4 and I shouldn't punish them any more than I already have, I was a super snooper as a child too so I guess it's just payback. Oh well I still have a super awesome surprise for DH and they will still be surprised when they get their santa gifts.
I think you handled it very well! Good job mama!
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #104
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I like how you handled it. I think kids should be held accountable, but taking away all the presents is only one option for that IMO. Some kids will be perfectly fine leaving them at 4, some won't. I think the difference between 4 and 2/3 is 4 year olds have a more developed ability to anticipate but haven't fully developed self control. They know there's toys, they know they'll get them eventually, why not now? I think most 2-3 year olds aren't quite there yet, KWIM?

I know the one year we found our presents, seeing how disappointed my mom was was a much worse punishment than taking the things away. And by Christmas Id forgotten most of it so it was still a surprise!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #105
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't blame them at age four.

I think already knowing what your gifts are in advance is punishment enough.

I bet all of us know the disappointment at having ruined our surprises then wishing later that we hadn't.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #106
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
I vote for getting them an advent calendar and let them peek at things they're allowed to!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #107
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You had wrapped presents under the Xmas tree more than a month before Xmas and you didn't think they would be tempted? Even I would be horribly tempted.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #108
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Glad to read your update, OP.

Add me to the list of the people who don't think this is a big deal at all, and certainly not something that warrants a "punishment." The natural consequence is that the kids are not surprised and, really...who cares?

And some kids simply aren't that into surprises. My dd is one of them. She would always rather know what's coming (even when it's presents) than be surprised.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #109
Newton
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by garness View Post
I would never put presents out so early, especially with little boys. Its natural curiosity. I would have been upset as well though. I would just take them away, hid them and bring all the gifts back out on christmas eve.
This is what I would do.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #110
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
You had wrapped presents under the Xmas tree more than a month before Xmas and you didn't think they would be tempted? Even I would be horribly tempted.
So true! Heck I have a hard time buying presents early and NOT giving them too!! I just love it all!!
I am so very excited this year. Both of my boys are totally into Santa Claus by their own choosing, and I can't wait to have fun!!!