Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #361
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Thanks Liz! Stupid me, I'm still crying. It's so darg hard this time of year. $ $ $ And I dispise the stuff. Why the heck did we even start the money spent show-off thing. It's really the thought. Am I so nieve that I'm the only person on earth that believes this.

Honest to God, I'd have been happy with a shovel and a spot to plant as a child. Nowa days I have dreams sure, but when Ray asks what I really want I always reply with something we as a family needs. This year I asked if we could put the money he was gonna sneak off and get something for me with and save it towards a freezer. he despises that, lol. He knows I'm not interested in jewelery and purses, but just wants to get something for "me". Sure I'd love some riding boots, but why spend $100 when that could feed us for a long time. I can get a pair of boots on a lucky day at the thrift store, lol. Drives him nuts. I'm just too simple sometimes. Now I prob sound like a major dork!

This boy would have been happy with socks, lol.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #362
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the tips!!!

I went down and spent a little time with them. None of them are aggressive or peck at me at all. They ALL did the first few days after I brought them home, but now they all just pretty much run (except for one of the girls, who lets me hold and cuddle her now! <3 )

So, I have the three boys. We will call the big one Goliath, the little one David, and the "normal" sized one Bob.

When my hand went in the brooder, ALL of the chicks fled to the corner. Teriyaki eventually let me pick her up and hold her for a few minutes, but none of them pecked or puffed up.

When I left them alone, I observed them eating. All the girls ate while Goliath stood watch. The other boys ate with the girls, but Bob ate a little, then he took his "post" to watch everyone else. He stayed on the floor, while Goliath perched up on their little box house.

David just kept eating with the girls. He is significantly smaller than the rest. So, the chances of him getting picked on are probably higher for him.

I think it comes down to Goliath and Bob. Goliath is so darn freakin' handsome. There's something about him that just makes him look like a little boss. But that also makes me a little nervous.

Bob is pretty unassuming. He just blends in with the girls. To be honest, I had to really pay attention to notice him keeping guard of the rest. Goliath ALWAYS stands out as the boss-man.

So I guess I am leaning towards keeping Bob. He's the same size as all the girls, and so far shows some protective/watchful qualities, but he doesn't look like he's segregating himself from the group as much.

OMG chicken psychology! AAAHHH!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #363
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sarah, what an awesome blessing! :hug:
Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #364
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Bekki!

Great news you had the time to watch and carefully pick out a man for your flock! yay! I think you did great the way you decided. hope Bob turns out to be a wonderfull protector and pet.

So I managed to get tomorrows thread up, lol. Lots of pics this one, hehe. I just felt this breed. It just looks like a December chicken.

Hope you all enjoy the breed for the month. I wish I had had time to add my thoughts and experiences. Such a KIND hearted breed!

So I called and left a message with a livestock vet in town. Really hoping for a call back. It was regarding Patients. I want to find her a home where perhaps they can afford a vet? Better handfeeding formula? I don't know, better outlook. It's a real longshot. I need someone that can be trusted to keep her provided with grinded food at all times and hand feed 3 times a day for now. Weigh her daily for now, and give her a forever home. Someone that won't eat her or toss her in with other chickens that may pick on her. She has to have a lamp for sure atm and be inside because she has no body fat. That's a lot of needs. Not counting holding and love. She NEEDS lots of cuddles. Spoiled girl!

If I can't find this perfect home, she had to thrive for me or I will have to put her down. If the vet doesn't call back, I'll contact some on-line chicken sites for help. That is if she starts to gain. She's kinda stuck atm.

OHHHH! I took her to sit in the sun today on the front portch. She was so happy. She walked around some and Daisy May knocked down the little angle statue. I went down 1 step to grab it and she cam-a-runnin. Hoped down the step and jumped in my lap. Who could ask for a sweeter little girl. I pray she finds the loving forever home she deserves. <3
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #365
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sarah, what is wrong with Patients? I am still so new to this thread, trying to keep everyone straight!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #366
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Bekki if Goliath isn't mean and he's your favorite by all means keep him. It sounds like they have already established a system of whom is dominant. Goliath is the top roo and Bob is his subordinate. Bob will assume the dominant role if you eliminate the other two. Don't give Goliath away if you feel you'll regret it.

Sarah's little patience has a birth defect, she was born without a tongue and therefore is having trouble with feeding and thriving.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #367
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah, I was reading on BYC trying to find any info for you on the tongue issue and I wondered are you sure she doesn't have a tongue? Or could it be "swallowed"? I saw a few threads that mentioned some sort of crop illness/stomach infection that could cause cankers and sickness in the mouth that would cause the tongue to be forced backwards to protect the airway? Just a thought...
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #368
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Question for anyone that knows about this...

Is the grain Teff safe to feed to chickens? We have some that we were eating but no longer, I want to make sure it's ok for the girls to eat before I throw it out to them for a snack.

thanks!
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #369
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
Ok so maybe I was desperatly hoping I "wounded him for life", I like him so much he will let you pick him up and loves to be scratched under his wattles. He used to be such a sweetie. If he doesn't behave he may be dinner

We had the same thing happen.... Our Roo was our big baby for a long, long time... And then, he changed and we couldn't trust him. Then he attacked me. For DH that was the end. Just too unpredictable around little ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
You guys just won't believe this!!!! I entered the big Hasbro toy giveaway, forgot to go back each day and re-enter. The boys won second prize!!!!!!! We can give Cayden a nice present! We were only going to be able to do 1 nice toy each from Santa and a cpl small items from us. Now Cayden will get a great toy!!!! I'm in tears ya'll. How lucky was this? What a blessing. This is one of the things that reassures me of God's existance. When we're rock bottom, he provides. Somehow he always has. I CAN'T wait to tell Ray!!!!
;cry
; I have put so much money into the girls. There just hasn't been any way to save. These chickens are more than pets. Sadly they are food for us. They can be pets too. It was a good investment. We will have a full freezer come spring, but so much money. So many issues came up with taking the lasat group from that dumb guy. I wouldn't change a thing. It just really messed up with the ability to save for presents. The boys are great, Cayden does get it's about Jesus and not all presents. BUT, what kid doesn't enjoy a nice thoughtfull present. It says he will either get a beyblade destroyer dome, or a nerf vortex pyragon. Still havn't looked them up yet, but he loves the beyblade stuff, lol. He'll love it no matter what. It can be for both of them if it's age appropriate. If not, we can get William somethign.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm just sooo overwhelmed!
Amazing blessing, Sarah!!! So, so happy for you guys!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #370
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Kat.

From what info I could find on teff, it has no toxins. I found info for it used as a livestock feed. I really couldn't find anything on chicken relation though.