Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
leyash
Registered Users
seller

How long does breastmilk last frozen?

So, I was just thinking... I like to pump a few ounces a day to freeze. This would be for like, DH to feed, or if I need to run somewhere, he has backup while I'm gone, etc. But then I got to thinking... If I nurse for 18 months, it would be AWESOME to still be able to give LO breastmilk for a year or more afterwards. So if I were to pump from 6-18 months, and freeze it, how long will that breastmilk last in the freezer. Essentially, I would need it to last about 18-24 months, if I wanted to give LO breastmilk until 2.5 years, after stopping nursing at 18 months.

By the way, these are just rough ages. Obviously things could play out completely differently.

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
pester
Registered Users

You can check out Kelly's mom but I believe it's 6-12 mo in a deep freezer. 6mo max in a regular freezer.
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Re: How long does breastmilk last frozen?

My midwife told me it was
6 hours at room temp
6 days in fridge
6 weeks in small frost-free freezer above fridge
6 months in deep freezer
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Geez. That's not long at all. Disappointing. I guess I will just have to nurse as long as possible.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In a deep freezer that you don't open a ton,12 months is the max. But if you're EBF you really don't need to freeze that much and you just use the oldest milk first.

If you want your LO to have BM until 2 or older, why not just nurse that long? Or you could always pump after weaning your LO.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post

If you want your LO to have BM until 2 or older, why not just nurse that long?
As someone who had to pump for every feed because my son would not latch, I have to honestly recommend that if you have a good nursing relationship established and everything is going well and your production is good, then you should keep nursing as long as you are able to/and as long as you want your baby to have breast milk because it is much, much harder to pump and build and maintain and manage a milk bank than you would think...and sooo much easier to just whip out a boob. Even if you just have to pump twice at work- on your lunch and coffee break, that's still much less of a time comittment than pumping for every feed.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirst View Post
As someone who had to pump for every feed because my son would not latch, I have to honestly recommend that if you have a good nursing relationship established and everything is going well and your production is good, then you should keep nursing as long as you are able to/and as long as you want your baby to have breast milk because it is much, much harder to pump and build and maintain and manage a milk bank than you would think...and sooo much easier to just whip out a boob. Even if you just have to pump twice at work- on your lunch and coffee break, that's still much less of a time comittment than pumping for every feed.
Yes! I EPed for DS1 and wanted so badly to make it to a year but only lasted 8 months. Low supply, bleeding nipples, exhaustion, and relationship problems just took their toll and I had to stop. EPing for DS2 was way easier since I had a better pump and an oversupply but who knows how long that would have lasted. I was able to freeze 1400oz in the 2 months I did EP before DS2 finally started latching thankfully so I do have an insurance policy now, but EBF is sooooooooo much easier than pumping any day. I'll be honest and say that pumping was easier for gonig out since giving him a bottle was easier than trying to NIP at themoment, but I think that's primarily because DF is only comfortable with it if I go to a room by myself or out to the car if I'm with him, andI can't usethe cradle position and I need the shield. But when I'm alone or with friends I'll NIP pretty much anywhere and without a cover. It gets easier. Neither EPing or EBFing is perfect but in the long run BF is so much easier.

If you do chooseto pump though you CAN do it! It's hard as heck but you're still giving baby liquid gold. I commend any mama who chooses to pump because of how hard it can be.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would only keep it 12m in a deep freeze when stored properly
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Deep freeze yr. But like -20 degrees f not just 0 degrees f. 6months or so In fridge freezer from open & closing p........Rules in general & from donation bank. 6 hrs out on counter & a week in fridge....I know from just doing stuff

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 12-05-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: update
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote