Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
savingmomof2boys's Avatar
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,474
My son will be 16 months old on the 15th and I am having the hardest time getting him to eat. He still uses a bottle and also will not take a sippy cup. He doesn't even like baby food. The only things he will regularly eat are cheerios, gerber puffs, gerber yogurt bites, and crackers.

I try to offer him different things multiple times a day but 99% of the time he refuses to eat. He will hold his lips closed tightly and shake this head and push the food away. I have tried feeding him with a spoon, with my fingers and letting him self feed but nothing seems to be working. Occasionally I will find something he will eat, like rice, and he will do wonderfully once then the next time I offer that same food he will refuse it.

He does has reflux, but takes zantac twice daily for that. He has been going to feeding studies with a speech therapist and a nutritionist. The nutritionist has been having us give him pediasure with his milk just to make sure he is getting some nutrition in him.

Anyone have any tips on helping get him off the bottle and eating real food?

Advertisement

__________________
Ashley ~ wife to my best friend and mommy of 2 amazing little boys.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
luvof3boyz's Avatar
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 833
My Mood:
Re: 16 month old that doesn't eat.

I know it is scary when they won't eat. Ruling out all health related problems, like the reflux. A serving is 1 tbs of food at this age. If your toddler get a complete serving of all food groups for the entire week you are doing great.

Now if he is losing weight then that should be addressed with your doctor. But if he is gaining then he is taking in more then you think. It is very common for kids to be super picky at this age. I wish I could tell you it gets easier but pickiness lasts for years. Don't fret about it to much and don't show him that you care either way. This is a time for asserting their independence. Put the food on his plate and stay in the room but don't hover and try to force food. These are mistakes I made with my 2 older kids. It backfires.

My 13 month old eats everything even things his big brother won't eat. Whatever we are having is what he gets to eat.

Don't worry mama it will pass.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,985
Re: 16 month old that doesn't eat.

If there are feeding questions, I would wait on those results before pushing too hard. I would keep offering, and assuming there are no sensory or feeding issues he will come around. My girls both ate almost nothing from about 14-18 months, then became ravenous.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
UnderTheStars's Avatar
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: between the Mississippi and a cornfield
Posts: 6,895
My Mood:
Re: 16 month old that doesn't eat.

Has he always been like this? Or has he eaten before and is now refusing? If it's the latter of the two, I would keep offering as much as you can and eventually he will probably come around - I believe that is a very picky I'm-not-going-to-touch-that-food-with-a-10-foot-pole sort of age. If he has always been like that, and has never really eaten anything beyond what you listed, I would push for further evaluation with an OT/feeding specialist (which it sounds like you are on the right track for) or possibly even EI because he may need some sensory intervention to help him overcome his defensiveness to foods. My DS has been in feeding therapy for 2 years so if you have any questions about that, feel free to PM me!
__________________
Alex
[ mom to my cowboy ballerina and my boy-of-steel ]
UnderTheStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
savingmomof2boys's Avatar
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz View Post
Has he always been like this? Or has he eaten before and is now refusing? If it's the latter of the two, I would keep offering as much as you can and eventually he will probably come around - I believe that is a very picky I'm-not-going-to-touch-that-food-with-a-10-foot-pole sort of age. If he has always been like that, and has never really eaten anything beyond what you listed, I would push for further evaluation with an OT/feeding specialist (which it sounds like you are on the right track for) or possibly even EI because he may need some sensory intervention to help him overcome his defensiveness to foods. My DS has been in feeding therapy for 2 years so if you have any questions about that, feel free to PM me!
He has pretty much always been like this. He has been doing the feeding evaluations since he was 12 months because at that point he would even touch and baby food.

The feeding specialist has me bring in a few foods that he refuses and a few that he likes. Up until his last appointment he always did well with at least trying everything I brought but then once we are home, he won't try anything. If I even carry him close to his high chair he will get real stiff and scream and cry. At his last appointment with the therapist he wouldn't touch anything we offered. She put in a request for a swallow study and that appointment is next week.

I think I am going to look into EI. How do I go about getting their info?
__________________
Ashley ~ wife to my best friend and mommy of 2 amazing little boys.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,985
Re: 16 month old that doesn't eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savingmomof2boys View Post
He has pretty much always been like this. He has been doing the feeding evaluations since he was 12 months because at that point he would even touch and baby food.

The feeding specialist has me bring in a few foods that he refuses and a few that he likes. Up until his last appointment he always did well with at least trying everything I brought but then once we are home, he won't try anything. If I even carry him close to his high chair he will get real stiff and scream and cry. At his last appointment with the therapist he wouldn't touch anything we offered. She put in a request for a swallow study and that appointment is next week.

I think I am going to look into EI. How do I go about getting their info?
I would google Early Intervention or FIT (Family Infant Toddler Program) along with your city name to see. Most places it is a self referral. You might also look into OT (Occupational Therapy) as there may be sensory issues as well. If the high chair has become a battle ground, do you have a kiddie picnic table or somewhere else to try feeding him?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
savingmomof2boys's Avatar
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post

I would google Early Intervention or FIT (Family Infant Toddler Program) along with your city name to see. Most places it is a self referral. You might also look into OT (Occupational Therapy) as there may be sensory issues as well. If the high chair has become a battle ground, do you have a kiddie picnic table or somewhere else to try feeding him?
Thank you. I did a Google search and got a number so I will call first thing in the morning.

I do have a kiddie table but he won't sit long enough to take one bite.

The only time I can get him to eat is first thing in the morning. He will eat oatmeal but only if I let him stand. So he will stand in the kitchen and I sit on the floor to spoon feed him oatmeal.
__________________
Ashley ~ wife to my best friend and mommy of 2 amazing little boys.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
jjordan
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,810
Re: 16 month old that doesn't eat.

You've probably tried this, but our youngest would absolutely refuse anything on a spoon... until we gave her the spoon, and ever since she has LOVED feeding herself with the spoon. She doesn't do much finger food, but she loves using a spoon!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.