Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
leanntoland
Registered Users

Tantrums?

My son is ten months old and has been walking for a few weeks now. It seems like he's acting like a toddler now and throwing tantrums when I take something away or when I won't let him have something he wants. He's even started 'yelling' at me when he doesn't get his way.

Advertisement

leanntoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
leanntoland
Registered Users

Sorry, posting from my phone. Is this normal behavior? I've been trying to just let him throw his tantrum for a could of minutes and then I will comfort him. It's just hard since he's so young and I can't reason with him. Any suggestions?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Tantrums?

yes normal - my daughter started full body tantrums at 6months - arched back and kicking feet, etc.

At the younger age, you can simply not react (as long as they're not at risk of injuring themselves), wait it out and then comfort, etc.

I also have no problem telling a 10month old 'no no no' when they're doing something that they shouldn't do. They understand very well that young when they're doing something you like and don't like. They may not understand 'why', but they can get the jist of 'this gets this reaction'.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, normal. My 8 month old does this. He is easily distracted, I just tell him "no, blah, blah, blah" and then distract him with another activity.
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
mamaspice
Registered Users

Yes, it is normal and you are handling it great. it's okay to comfort and distract as long as they don't get their way from throwing the fit. You don't want that behavior to "work."
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
leanntoland
Registered Users

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I don't want him to learn that throwing a fit gets him what he wants. I'm trying to get my DH to realize that he's acting more like a toddler and not our little newborn. He is more of a softy than I am.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
mamaspice
Registered Users

I also try to label the feelings in an empathetic voice... "Oh, you're disappointed. You really wanted to play with the remote. But that's Mommy's. Oh, look, here's your dolly!"
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tantrums?

Yep! Ignoring does the trick for us, too.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote