Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #41
papoosecaboose
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do we or don't we....

We found out with our first 4 children. It was great and lovely and I was thankful each time that we knew what to expect. We had 2 boys and 2 girls, so I decided not to find out with #5. It was sooooo NOT worth it. What a letdown. I just knew it was a boy, had no doubt in my mind and I couldn't shake that feeling no matter what. But since I didn't have any proof, I never got to bond with the baby in the same way as with my other 4. We didn't know their name and I couldn't picture them in my mind. I do like to shop, but I'm a lot better about buying from thrift stores and the clearance rack. Not knowing meant I couldn't buy anything. Ugh! (I really don't care for gender neutral clothes. At all.) And it's not that we really "needed" anything, but I like for every baby to have a couple of outfits that are uniquely theirs, picked out lovingly by Mama. And then there were the cloth diapers. So many cute cute cute diapers for newborns and I had to buy white and ivory. Blah. As the time for baby to come got closer, I had twice the work to do getting ready. I had to wash all the newborn boy clothes AND all the newborn girl clothes. All the newborn boy bedding AND all the newborn girl bedding. You get the idea. What a hassle! I ended up never putting up any decor in the baby's room because I couldn't find anything that was neutral. Everything was very decidedly boy or girl, or a color combo I didn't care for. So finally it's birthday time and we get to the big moment when baby comes out and the doctor says, "Don't you want to know if it's a boy or a girl?" I said, "I already know, it's a boy." She's like, "Yep, you're right!" So much for the excitement of surprise. So my advice is FIND OUT!!!
I will hopefully be having an U/S with baby #6 here in the next few weeks and I fully intend to find out!

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #42
GodLover
Registered Users
seller

Thanks!!!
GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #43
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We always found out and I liked it. I loved being able to call my baby by name. If it would somehow work out that we got a surprise baby I think I would make it a surprise for fun.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #44
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
I will definately find out again. I feel so deeply attached the day our developing LOs are named. I talk to my babies in utero by name & feel so incredibly bonded before the birth by knowing the gender. I believe that finding out allows me to purchase more specific gifts & necessities that I'm able to put more thought into & it allows me to feel more prepared than I would otherwise.
me too! it makes it more real...and it is so cute when the kids refer to the baby by their name (before the baby is born!)
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #45
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
Formerly: lovnbabygabi
seller

My Mood:

Well I was almost team green this time I had myself pretty convinced that I wanted to wait just to have that experience but bonding became super hard. I didn't want to picture either sex, so I just ignored my pregnancy altogether. I hated doing that, feeling like I wasn't giving this baby the attention he or she needed and I was an emotional wreck. I left it up to fate and wouldn't you know this baby boy was none to shy so there's no way I could have missed it. I'm really happy that I know now, it's just really nice to call him by name and talk to him and just have a bit more of a connection. Good luck deciding! Maybe if I'm so blessed to have a 4th we'll wait.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #46
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We didn't find out with #4 (not by choice but b/c baby wouldn't cooperate) it was fun - there was still that excitement of some surprise among out friends and family...I won't be finding out for #5 b/c it really wasn't that hard not to know and I liked the surprise and excitement!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #47
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

No don't. We've done it both ways and not finding out was SO much better!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #48
mammacandoit
Registered Users
seller

I found out with 1 and didn't with the rest. it is SOOO fun to not know. This time (due any time), we don't even have names picked out. We have a few that we like, but none that are sticking out...so when baby gets here we can name him/her based on WHO they are. I love that. PLUS it gives hubby a good idea that I actually know what I'm talking about when I have a 'feeling'....I've been right with my guesses each time. This time, I think it's a boy - we'll see!

mammacandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #49
GodLover
Registered Users
seller

I'm torn I want to decorate but I really want the surprise :0
GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #50
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodLover
I'm torn I want to decorate but I really want the surprise :0
Have everything picked out and order it all from the hospital (or wherever baby is born). That's what we did with girly clothes when DD2 arrived. We had a gender neutral room because I wanted the colors. Then she didn't sleep in there for 9 months anyway. All the superficial planning and decorating and buying goes away when you get that surprise moment at the end. The midwife said "what is it dad?" And DH exclaimed "girl!" So much better than finding out with DD1. It was so awesome. We are done having kids now but I would do it all over again to have the surprise again.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum