Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Low/No Purine Recipes (ie Gout Diet) I need Vegan help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
Bolded is AWESOME stuff for gout!

I know many people that have used the one made by Enzymatic Therapy called Black Cherry Concentrate too. A buddy of ours got it last week and said that by day three he was felling almost like his old self again.
YAY! I'm so glad to hear it. I know it is an absolute miracle for regular arthritis, so much so that I think I will stop taking glucosamine/chondroitin when I run out of those .

Advertisement

debcita429 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok, here is a recipe I made up and loved back when I could have dairy and gluten. It is low fat, so it sounds like it would work fine for him if the pasta does not count as being too refined:

BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE QUICK PREP

2 cups macaroni
water
3 eggs
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 cup skim milk
tsp paprika
tsp ground black pepper
-1 tsp salt
2-3 generous tbsp feta cheese dip (depending on strength, see recipe below)
or else some dill, parsley, and a pinch of garlic salt
2 cups reduced fat or low fat cheddar, shredded
cup crumbled feta (optional)
cup toasted, with a dab of oil, breadcrumbs (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook macaroni until tender.
Combine eggs, cottage cheese, milk paprika, pepper, feta dip (or some dill and parsley), and salt in blender (or use hand blender). You could probably get away with just stirring it if in a hurry but wouldn't have a smooth texture.
Drain macaroni. Place one third in the bottom of a 2 qt baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/3 cheddar. Repeat layers two more times. Sprinkle with feta. Pour the blended mixture on top.
Bake for 40 minutes.

FETA CHEESE DIP

4 oz feta cheese. crumbled
8 oz plain non-fat yogurt*
1 clove minced garlic
cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp dried, crushed dillweed or 2 tbsp fresh
Juice of one lemon
Pinch of cayenne pepper

Serve w/ fresh veggies or on toasted pita, Italian, or French bread. (If the bread or cracker you are using is bland, then you may want to add a dash of garlic salt.) The dip is smelly, but its good.

*This dip is great as a spread but may be too strong, depending on taste for a dip. You may want to double the amount of yogurt if using as a dip as opposed to adding it to recipes.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I was in high school, I did the cooking for my family and was very into low-fat food. My family liked this:

SOUTHWEST CHICKEN LASAGNA

10 0z pkg lasagna noodles, cooked according to directions and laid out separately (unless you have substantial room/time, you may want to use the oven-ready version)

Cottage Cheese Mixture:
4 egg whites, lightly beaten
3 cups fat-free cottage cheese
1/3 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
3 tablespoons canned, diced chile peppers

Sauce:
1 cup chopped onions
1 sweet red pepper, chopped or pureed
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (10 oz) cans condensed tomato soup (pref. reduced sodium/fat)
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
tsp ground black pepper

Other:
4 cups cooked chicken breast, torn or cubed into bite-size pieces
1 cups (6 0z) reduced fat cheddar, shredded
1 cup (4oz) reduced-fat Monterey Jack, shredded (I use the fat-free with jalapeno version for more bite)
Red pepper rings (optional)

Stir together the Cottage Cheese mixture ingredients.

Spray a non-stick skillet, and add the onion, red pepper, and garlic. Cook until tender. Stir in the other sauce ingredients, and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 10 min.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 13 by 9 by 2 baking pan. Layer in this order: Noodles, cottage cheese mixture, chicken, sauce, and shredded cheese. Repeat until there are no more noodles. Garnish with pepper rings. Cover and bake for 50 minutes.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Back then I really liked this recipe. I dislike using lasagna noodles and so only made this occasionally with the pricier noodles that do not require pre-cooking. But it was a nice contribution to family get-togethers: VEGETABLE LASAGNA

6 regular lasagna noodles (or 9 of the oven-ready noodles)
2 slightly beaten egg whites
1 cups non-fat or 1% cottage cheese (I like most brands of non-fat,
because they tend to have a little more bite.)
1/8 tsp pepper
1 10 oz package frozen chopped broccoli or one 9 oz package frozen
french-style green beans
4-5 green onions, rinsed well and sliced
1 cup skim milk
4 tsp cornstarch
tsp dried dillweed
Dash of pepper (I prefer using a pepper mill)
1 cup shredded part-skim mozarella cheese
Nonstick spray coating
cup grated parmesan

Cook lasagna noodles (unless the oven-ready kind) according to package directions. Drain; set aside. Cook broccoli or green beans and set aside (can be microwaved in their packages until lightly cooked.)
Stir together egg whites, cottage cheese, and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook green onions in cup water, covered for 3 minutes. Do NOT drain. Combine skim milk, cornstarch, dillweed, and pepper. Add all at once to the green onion. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Add mozarella, stirring until melted. Stir in broccoli or green beans.
Spray 1 quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick coating. Place two noodles in the dish (cut and rearrange if necessary). Spread 1/3 cottage cheese mixture, 1/3 of the sauce mixture, and 1/3 of the parmesan over the noodles. Repeat layers two more times. Cover the dish with foil.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes; then remove foil and bake for 5-10 minutes more; let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

This was a favorite:

CHICKEN DIVAN

1 pound broccoli florets
2 cups chicken broth (can use chicken bouillon)
2 tbsp cornstarch
cup cold water
cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
tsp dried oregano
tsp salt
tsp black pepper
tsp dried basil
2 cups brown rice, cooked
1 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
cup grated parmesan

Preheat oven to broil.
Steam broccoli until crisp-tender (frozen broccoli can usually be microwaved).
Heat chicken broth. Mix cornstarch and water together and add to broth, stirring until broth is thickened and somewhat clear. Remove from heat and fold in yogurt. Stir in soy sauce, oregano, salt, pepper, and basil.
Place brown rice in the bottom of a casserole dish and top with brocccoli. Pour half of the sauce over the top. Layer the chicken on top. Add cup of the parmesan to the remaining sauce and pour over chicken. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and place under broiler until lightly browned. Serve immediately (4 servings).
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Finally, we liked this side dish enough that I began to increase the spices by a bit and add chicken right to the side dish. Again, you could substitute quinoa for couscous if you adjust the cook time and perhaps add a bit more liquid:

CINAMMON COUSCOUS WITH CORN QUICK PREP

1 cups vegetable or chicken stock (made from bouillion)
1 cup couscous
1 cups frozen corn
1 14.5 can stewed tomatoes or l cup fresh chopped Italian tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp dried chives, or to taste
1 tbsp lemon juice

Boil stock; then add couscous, stir, and take off heat. Leave coucous covered.

In nonstick frying pan over medium heat, combine all remaining ingredients except for lemon juice. Cook 5-10 minutes (let a fair amount of liquid evaporate). Add lemon juice, and combine contents of the pan with the couscous.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think I'm just going to have to lots of experimenting. It is just hard because the kids need protein. I don't want to have to make 2 meals. I don't live near any Whole Foods or Trader Joes type stores. (I basically have to shop at Walmart or a very small store that is over priced and has nasty produce!) I'm going to go drive to the nearest real "city" and go shopping this weekend to buy somethings I can't get locally.
I'll ask DH about Free-range. He might know someone that has chickens or know someone that knows someone. (That is how we get Rabbit.)
We do lots of Cherry Juice and fresh cherries. I'll order him some concentrate stuff online.
I do cook lots of chicken already. I'm just focusing more on all the no-nos that we (him,me, and DS) love that we will be giving up. Hopefully I can put together a few easy go to recipes.
We do Southwest Chicken Casserole but I use corn tortillas cut into strips instead of noodles. I love Couscous. (It's so quick!) But DH is really on board with making some changes in theory ... I just have to make sure his taste buds are on board too!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I think I'm just going to have to lots of experimenting. It is just hard because the kids need protein. I don't want to have to make 2 meals. I don't live near any Whole Foods or Trader Joes type stores. (I basically have to shop at Walmart or a very small store that is over priced and has nasty produce!) I'm going to go drive to the nearest real "city" and go shopping this weekend to buy somethings I can't get locally.

Oh, that is limiting.... I do pretty well with Kroger and get quinoa online on amazon (although I've since discovered a food co-op that has it cheaper). I also get some things like tahini from the places where I do my nutritional supplement orders. But Walmart makes things more difficult. Best wishes with finding good solutions fast!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

We don't eat meat, dairy or eggs for health reasons and more.

I highly recommend picking up Happy Herbivore, her cooking is easy and the recipes are all delicious.

I cannot recommend her enough. She has a fantastic blog (tons of free recipes) and Facebook presence.

I shop at Walmart and can make I think, everything in her books except maybe one or two things. Check out the reviews!

cookbook

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 11-28-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #20
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I rarely get the opportunity to visit a Walmart but was pleasantly surprised to discover on my trip today that they do stock free range chicken now.