Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
IloveDoris89
Registered Users
seller

Tape strip

First c-section I had staples , Second I had tape strips.... I am allergic to adhesive and told them this and they insisted it would be fine. Called them a month later when they still hadnt come off and they were mortified and had never had that happen, had to have assistance having them removed and the tape took off layers of skin.

Can I request staples again for my third? Or do I have no say in the matter?

Advertisement

IloveDoris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Of course you have a say! Especially if you are allergic! Make sure it is communicated clearly as a non-negotiable. Hope your Dr.s are more understanding and helpful this time around!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you ever had the glue? That's what I had with my last and it was better than the staples and tape.
FWIW there is a type of tape that seems to not irritate dd who is super super sensitive to most adhesive tape. it's a fabric like stretchy tape that is perforated in 1 1/2-2 inch strips.
I do recommend the glue of its a possibility, otherwise you shouldn't have a problem requesting staples if that is your preference.
I'm having my 4th section in just over two weeks and will be using the glue again.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm

Last edited by myclanof6; 12-10-2012 at 07:01 PM.
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
IloveDoris89
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tape strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclanof6 View Post
Have you ever had the glue? That's what I had with my last and it was better than the staples and tape.
FWIW there is a type of tape that seems to not irritate dd who is super super sensitive to most adhesive tape. it's a fabric like stretchy tape that is perforated in 1 1/2-2 inch strips.
I do recommend the glue of its a possibility, otherwise you shouldn't have a problem requesting staples if that is your preference.
I'm having my 4th section in just over two weeks and will be using the glue again.
Yes that is the kind they used I believe.

I never had glue but I would definitely like to try that over staples...Staples werent comfortable but I would prefer them over stitches anyday
IloveDoris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveDoris89

Yes that is the kind they used I believe.

I never had glue but I would definitely like to try that over staples...Staples werent comfortable but I would prefer them over stitches anyday
You most definitely have a choice of staple closure if that's what you prefer. I'm not sure if all Drs use the glue or not but it's worth asking.
And like pp said, you need to make sure everyone knows your preference and remind the Dr several more times the day of surgery. My Dr is awesome and I've been with her for years, but she is human and can forget so I do have to remind her of things sometimes.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I just had my first section 3 weeks ago. I was closed with internal dissolvable stitches and glue on the outside. No problems whatsoever. I was also closed the same way after my open heart surgery in 2004 with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dissolvable stitches are so weird. I had abdominal surgery as a teen and I could pull one side and then the other and the string would move. Lol. Eventually they just said to cut off the ends and let it go inside. So weird.

But effective.

Had steri strips and staples, I think, with my csection. My strips stayed on forever as well. They were finally like 'you could have taken those off weeks ago!'

I would think you should be able to tell them in advance what you need.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would check that your not allergic to the glue before you ask for it. I am not allergic to anything really, but I am allergic to surgical glue. I had it for my port placement (upper chest for cancer treatments) and the doctor told me that with the scar that I got, I shouldn't use it again. So officially now my allergies are Surgical Glue, and Phenobarbital. Strange combo but it is me.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs
I would check that your not allergic to the glue before you ask for it. I am not allergic to anything really, but I am allergic to surgical glue. I had it for my port placement (upper chest for cancer treatments) and the doctor told me that with the scar that I got, I shouldn't use it again. So officially now my allergies are Surgical Glue, and Phenobarbital. Strange combo but it is me.
That is a weird combo! LOL
We found dd was allergic to adhesive tape when she had her central line put in for chemo. They don't make ports small enough for 3 month olds so we had to change the dressing 1x a week, more if it got dirty or wet with vomit. The rash was awful on her little body but we didn't have a choice.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep you have a choice - I personally always choose the stitches and remove the strips about a week after surgery - they don't usually fall off. I'm allergic to the tegaderm (sp?) strips they put on right after the surgery too so I always tell them just use tape and gauze. I have to remind my dr. in his office I want stitches...in the hospital I tell my surgical nurse who stays with me, DH, the surgical techs who prepare everything for the surgery and then the dr. when he comes in again...or I ask someone else who's in the OR with me to remind him...I think it's different from what he normally does. So, tell them what you want and then ask other people to help remind your dr. too.