Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:

Hi ladies!

My husband and I are working with an agency to adopt a newborn domestically. I have induced lactation in order to breastfeed our baby, and so far it's going quite well. I started pumping and taking domperidone about a week ago, and I'm already getting drops of breast milk.

I have a question though. The domperidone makes me feel drowsy. It's getting better, but still frustrating at times. And I'm only taking 10mg three times a day! I'd like to take the full 80mg per day if possible. Has anyone else experienced this? Please tell me it gets better over time!

Last edited by mrsschoe; 10-13-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo
mrsschoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Domperidone

I didnt notice any side effects at all and i was taking the max dose. Of course i had a newborn at the time so i was drowsy anyway lol! Im sure it will get better mama. Congrats on the adoption and way to go for inducing lactation!!!
I, mama to dd A (3-08) dfs J (10/11) and in love with newbie dfd N! (10/13)
hopeful pre-adoptive foster family
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
My Mood:
I'm on dom too to help lactate for our son we adopted almost 4 months ago. It does make me feel a little drowsy and gives me a headache, but it's the only way I make enough milk to not have to supplement so I've just been dealing with it for now.
Married to Scott and Mama to Evelyn (5) Annabelle (3) and Abraham (1)

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Registered Users

I don't know anything about the medicine, but I know that lactation itself can make you drowsy. Your body producing milk takes a lot of energy! Congratulations and I hope it all works out.
DS born 8-15-2011!
JadeScarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Users

Congrats mama! We're fostering a newborn squish, wish we could bf this one
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
My Mood:

I don't remember having any side effects and I was on it for over a year.
Stephanie, Mom to Dylan Vinh (3/06) and Madison Thi (7/07)

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

I haven't taken it yet (planning on it) but I know a lot of women who have and no one had side effects other then a little loss in sex-drive. Making milk can cause you to be tired tho, its a lot of work! And nursing/pumping always made me tired because of the hormones, so it might just be the change in your body!
~Sarah~ Mama to Noah (12/05) & Abigail (08/07) Wife to my wonderful husband Foster mama to a sweet baby boy!
Pea_inthepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Registered Users

I took domperidone for six months (160mg/day - 4 tablets 4 times a day.) I don't remember it making me sleepy, though I was tired at the beginning from being up with the baby. What I did find was that it made me hungry. It speeds up the digestive system, so I would eat a meal and within 2 hours my stomach would be empty and I'd be ravenous. I know nursing can make you hungry, but I never produced enough milk to make me hungry (I was taking it for low supply, not an adoption) so I'm pretty sure it was the domperidone.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Registered Users
Formerly: k***11
I took Domperidone (10mg 4x/day) for a year after having our DS at 32 weeks. I have under supply even if I do everything right from a pumping perspective, so the Domperidone was a must! I don't remember it making me sleepy, though. Awesome what you are doing to induce lactation! Breast milk is going to be such an amazing gift for your child!
BF'ing and pumping, CD'ing, babywearing, semi-crunchy, circ'ing, vax'ing, extended RF, non-cosleeping, married to DH for 8 yrs, WOHM (love my job but miss my kids during the day) mama to Isabel 12-24-07, Josiah 01-29-10 born at 32w, and missing my angel baby Abigaile Grace 11-26-12 born at 23w. My blog about our journey through this loss.
~1 Thess. 5:16-17~
IsabelsMama is offline   Reply With Quote