Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you think the movie Shrek is appropriate for a 4 year old?

I am mixed on Shrek. My daughter saw it a couple times at 3, but we put it away for when she is older. She started trying to act like Shrek, which we weren't ok with.

We don't tend to censor her movies much, but this one we took after she was mimicking it.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD watched it a few months ago, around 2.5 yrs...but if it's not in line w/ what you identify as appropriate for your kids, talk to them about it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Would you let your 4 year old watch the movie Shrek? My 4 year old son was at my in-laws for a couple of days and they let him watch it. I don't think it's appropriate at all. Am I odd for thinking that?

We haven't said anything to them yet. I'm not sure exactly how we are going to approach it. For right now, I'm just wondering if I'm odd for being a little upset they let him watch Shrek.

Thanks for your thoughts!
I would just try to remember that they were trying to entertain him, not make you angry Shrek isnt horrible, but something that's meant for parents to enjoy as well. This is probably what they were thinking. I would have DS bring movies with him next time.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We watch shrek at any age. But if you are not ok with it then you need to tell them what movies you approve of. If they didny know it was a no-no movie prior to allowing it to be watched I wouldnt star an argument over it.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm ok with it. My son was a big Shrek fan when he was younger and even had his 3rd birthday party with a Shrek theme. But I can see why you wouldn't be ok with it. I have a problem with a lot of "kids" shows that are on. If it bothers you, definitely say something! You're the mom!

I love TRADES!
Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #16
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleThingsMama638 View Post
I wouldn't, but I also don't let my kids watch spongebob either. I don't think adult humor has a place in children's movies.
Same.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
kushie tushie
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
yeah i have no issues with kids seeing shrek. any of the adult content is really too sophisticated for littles to get. most of those dreamworks movies are made for a broad audience
This is how I feel too. DS loves all the DreamWorks movies we've let his watch so far.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! I wasn't planning to make a big issue of it. Unless it's something major, I try to be relaxed about what goes on at grandparents' houses. I just wasn't sure if I was alone in my thinking. Good to know I'm not, but that it's not horrible either.

I will probably just ask them to keep it to G rated movies. Shrek is PG. I could send him with some, but they enjoy picking stuff out and planning it. I don't mind that. I'm glad they like taking my kids and spending time with them. They take one of my older 3 (by themselves) for the weekend every couple of months. I wouldn't want my kids to miss out on that because I make it too stressful or hard to please me. I'm also relaxed about food while they are visiting. He didn't have one piece of fruit or a veggie while there and it isn't because he doesn't like them. It is because my in-laws don't eat fruit or veggies.

Quote:
I wouldn't, but I also don't let my kids watch spongebob either. I don't think adult humor has a place in children's movies.
This is exactly how I feel. And someone said, animation does not equal a kids movie. I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I am mixed on Shrek. My daughter saw it a couple times at 3, but we put it away for when she is older. She started trying to act like Shrek, which we weren't ok with.

We don't tend to censor her movies much, but this one we took after she was mimicking it.
My kids will do this too, especially the one who saw it. That is part of the reason I try to be so picky about it. And, why is it they always pick up the words or sayings in the movie that we don't want them to.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 12-11-2012 at 09:21 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We let the kids watch shrek as well, if you have movies you don't want being watched, send some movies your ok with.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
This is how I feel.

Animated does not equal 'appropriate for children'.
Me too. I hadn't seen Shrek in years, and I got it for my DD for Christmas when she was 1 (not thinking that she would enjoy it at that age, but we were trying to build her a movie collection for when she does get to watch movies). She's 2.5 now, and I popped it in for the first time the other night, and popped it right back out as soon as it started and I remembered what was in it! However, we are also pretty picky about what she may watch, listen to, etc. Don't question yourself, mama, you know best when it comes to your kiddos!!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote