Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Tofu hrlp

So I am new to tofu. I have to origanum extra firm tofu in my fridge and wanna make something with them for me and toddler..... But in lost. The only thing I have her done with it is cubed it for miso soup.....

Momma 30 to a who is Queen who is 7 , a king who is 5 a, princess who is 2 and a princess in training born 3-29-13
we are a cloth diapering, tandem breastfeeding, homeschooling, fully vaxing but with a delay family!
Buena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Tofu hrlp

Stir fry!
spring13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I mix miso, and little brown sugar, and bit of chicken broth and fry the tofu so it's just a little brown on each side. It's kinda the same concept as miso glazed salmon.

I'll stirfry the tofu with brocolli, onion and carrots. I use chicken broth, a little garlic, soy sauce and oyster sauce for flavor.

I make a clear soup with tofu. I mix garlic and soy sauce with ground pork and make bite sized meat balls. Boil the meat balls in diluted chicken broth and add carrots, a little green onion and tofu. Add soy sauce and salt to tast. DD likes to eat this with rice or macaroni noodles.

Mapo tofu...but really diluted for kids.
wife to James and WOHM to Autumn (2.5)
Labels? I don't use labels. I can't even get my label maker to work.

Last edited by Shimpie; 12-12-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Just wanna chime in and say that you should always wrap it in a towel and let it sit with something heavy like a big book on top of it for awhile to get the extra moisture out of it before cooking.

That said, my go-to tofu recipe is to bake it. I throw together a marinade that usually involves soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic, oil and maybe a couple of spices. You can find a lot of tofu marinade recipes online if you want a different flavor.

Cut the tofu into 8 slices. Put in 8x8 pan with marinade cover in foil and bake at 400 for 30 minutes, then uncover, flip, and bake for another 20.
*Insert list of crunchy mom stuff here*
ISO Zutano and a Ponyo DVD, IHA 2t Antsy Pants and size 1 Piddle Poddle trainers
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
We often dry fry our tofu then add it to dishes, marinade, or serve it up with some dipping sauce.
You start by slicing the tofu into rectangles or triangles about 1/4-1/2 inch thick, dry them on soft tea towels (not terry cloth) then fry them in a non stick pan gently pressing to remove any extra moisture. You can then easily marinade it to suck up flavor, or as my kids do just eat it like a chikn nugget
Kristy~ISO: Sleep!

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Registered Users
Set out tofu wrapped in a towel with weight (book, plates) on top to draw out moisture for about an hour.

Cube or slice and fry tofu for 20-30 minutes, no oil or grease.

This is how we prepare all tofu, then we put it back in the fridge to use whenever we want.

Bbq tofu:
Marinate cubed tofu in bbq sauce in the fridge for at least an hour. We leave ours overnight.

Arrange in a shallow baking pan, sauce and all, and cook for 30 mins at 350 degrees.

Orange tofu:

Marinate in orange sauce like above, then add to stir fry veggies and fry until sauce is sticky. Serve over rice.
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote