Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you prefer to give during holidays?

It depends on who it's for.

For the kids, I pay attention all year to what they CONSISTENTLY say they want and try to get them each something they think will be really cool and not just get played with for a week and then forgotten about.

And pretty much the same for other family members/friends if we're doing presents for others that year. This year, we aren't. This year we're getting one thing for each of the kids, and I'm getting DH a gift. That's it. I MIGHT make fudge or popcorn balls or cookies for my church family, but I doubt I'm going to have time or energy this year to do that.

When I do gifts for my dad, I always do a coffee gift that includes some gourmet coffee and a travel mug or nice mug. Step mom gets a similar basket but with tea.

I'm getting DS1's teacher a coffee mug and a gift card to Starbucks. Even if she doesn't drink coffee, everyone could use a nice travel mug.. tea, hot cocoa, soup, whatever... and she could use the gift card to buy tea if she's not a coffee drinker.

I'm one of those people that when I buy a gift, I put a lot of thought and effort into it. So it's not the same for everyone... it could be books or toys for kids, adults could get coffee mugs or gift cards to their favorite stores... it all just depends on who I'm buying for.

God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
For kids, toys (I remember the disappointment I always felt when I got clothes, hahaha)

For adults, it is so very person-specific. For teens I usually give money or gift cards because it's usually really what they want.

For adults I usually make at least one gift, and that varies (it's gotten a lot easier now that I'm a mom because the grandmothers get something with DS's little face on it -- This year it's coasters made from recycled garden tiles and modpodge); last year everyone got crocheted scarves; the year before it was hand scrub. I also buy a gift, and it just depends on the person. My mom tends to like Bible study items like commentaries or Beth Moore books/guides and she also likes kitchen related items. My brothers are techies so I let my DH do the shopping for them. DH's sister is into dragoncon type stuff so this year I got her some vampire paper dolls (she's in her 40s but I think she'll get a kick out of them). For my sisters-in-law on my side of the family I usually get some stationary type items or some jewelry

ETA: personally I love to bake and would give food gifts, but people usually have SO MUCH food around the holidays, I'm afraid it would be wasted.
Oh my gosh I love the coaster idea! I have Modge Podge too! I bought it for a craft and have so much left over!!! TOTALLY COOL!!! All the grand parents would love it!!! So would my older sister!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I always get needs so mom and dad can get the fun stuff.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Totally depends on the person. For kids...toys. For adults...gift cards or something frivolous that they would like.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Toys, games and books. My sister gives them tons of clothes and grandparents give toys. So we give a toy each then some games and books.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
ETA: personally I love to bake and would give food gifts, but people usually have SO MUCH food around the holidays, I'm afraid it would be wasted.
one of my favorite gifts I was given was a large canning jar with homemade biscottis in them. The great thing is that they don't go stale! So, I got to eat them in January after all the holiday cookies and whatnot were gone.

I love to recieve gifts that go away. lol.
I have too much stuff.. so baked things that I can enjoy a few weeks after Christmas is great. Those jars of dry soup mixes... things like that.

what I prefer to give?
toys.

or, if you're an adult - something you need or want. I love my mom's amazon wishlist - I always know I'm getting her something she wants.