Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone not take vitamins during pregnancy?

Regular prenatals gross me out and I have a hard time because they are too big. What works for me is figuring out what nutrients I really needed and then buying those. I settled on DHA, vitamin d3, Folic acid, b6, b12, Floridix, and zinc. I also take a probiotic when I remember. The pills are small and I take them at different times and I don't have any issues. That being said I am not suffering from HG.

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
abhernandez
Registered Users

Prenatals are relatively uncommon here. There's only one brand and I'd say the vast majority of women take nothing. The doctor just recommended a balanced diet. I'm not suggesting that thats the best but it's obviously not causing a national crisis and we have pretty good health care here. I did take prenatals sporadically until 18 weeks and then consistently until the third tri and now they make me feel pretty queezy so I'm back to sporadic.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I take a cod liver oil supplement and other than that, just try to eat healthily. Also, ALive! brand makes a whole food supplement prenatal that is really good. I took it in my first pregnancy somewhat, but not the second. It might not be as hard for you to take since it is not synthetic. If you're not able to keep food down, I would try to take some kind of supplement because it is important to get enough nutrients. During pregnancy and breastfeeding I aim for 3 egg yolks a day (free range) in addition to raw milk, butter, cream, and veggies, and fish or shellfish once a week.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
Some things you can try to get at least something:
Switch to taking it before bed instead of mornings - this helped me a TON.
Try a capsule prenatal and empty the capsules into a smoothie.
Take a prenatal with ginger.
If you can't stomach any pills at all, try Emergen-C or even Ensure to get some vitamins. Something is better than nothing.

Vitamin intake is really important not just for smarts or weight, but also to prevent birth defects and other complications. Obviously, HG and similar conditions are beyond your control, so just do what you can and be creative of you have to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
Regular prenatals gross me out and I have a hard time because they are too big. What works for me is figuring out what nutrients I really needed and then buying those. I settled on DHA, vitamin d3, Folic acid, b6, b12, Floridix, and zinc. I also take a probiotic when I remember. The pills are small and I take them at different times and I don't have any issues. That being said I am not suffering from HG.
this is how I feel about it. I really only "worry" about folic acid during the first trimester when the spine is developing. But, I take them throughout the pregnancy. but, I was born with a congenital spinal defect that wasn't detected until I was in my teens, so I'm very wary about things like that.

With DD, I'd break it in half and have half with dinner and half as I was getting into bed. And then I felt a little better and just had the entire thing as I was getting into bed. I forgot about that trick with this baby and was taking them in the morning and feeling like crap from them, then I remembered and I take them literally as I am laying myself into bed. That has helped me a lot.