Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
Belbaby3728
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post

I don't know if this is OP's issue, but you can't use bleach with septic systems, so it could be a combo of not enough water with a fl and bleach not being an option.
I have a septic system and use bleach every diaper load in my tl...

Advertisement

Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Brandy1010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbaby3728 View Post

I have a septic system and use bleach every diaper load in my tl...
You are killing the good bactieria that your septic tank needs to "eat" the bad. I am sure bleach every now and then isnt a big deal. But I wouldnt use it every load, especially.
Brandy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't understand people who say disposables are cheaper

sorry this isnt exactly what ur looking for im sure, but have u thought of using wool? if u dont already...my DD got INSANE rashes with PUL, DS does too, but not as bad im now suing wool full time..even though he has cotton diapers and feels wet he doesnt get rashes like he did when we used PUL covers...

also i think that a lot of ppl do wait on changing sposies..not to be mean but i have totally noticed people who do that..i was never that way when my DD was in sposies (B4 my love for cloth blossomed) as soon as she peed id take that thing off n toss it but ive totally seen ppl, and family members even, who will let their kid have a soaked saggy diaper for a long time..
a few times i kind of just waited to see when the kid would actually get changed, finally i just did it..(family memeber) but ya i totally dont understand that at all they ARE NOT cheaper!

also another thought maybe using flats since they clean easiest u dont need bleach for those... or fitteds and doing coverless at home..just had to put my 2 cents in
good luck mama!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #14
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy1010 View Post
You are killing the good bactieria that your septic tank needs to "eat" the bad. I am sure bleach every now and then isnt a big deal. But I wouldnt use it every load, especially.
There are products you can add to it to maintain those bacteria and enzymes. We use bleach frequently with septic and have had no adverse effects. Same for my parents.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith

I don't know if this is OP's issue, but you can't use bleach with septic systems, so it could be a combo of not enough water with a fl and bleach not being an option.
This isn't true. You can use bleach if your septic system is properly maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy

There are products you can add to it to maintain those bacteria and enzymes. We use bleach frequently with septic and have had no adverse effects. Same for my parents.
Yep. Honestly, it would take a LOT of bleach to throw a septic system off. There is a lot of misinformation about septics. Modern ones require very little maintenance.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't understand it either. I use ONE sposie a night for 1 child, and that's more than $10/month alone. If they're only spending $20/month, they must use them until they are exploding full or poopy...
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

What kind of machine do you have? I have never tried it, but a friend of mine uses one of those Downy Balls filled with diluted bleach in her wash without problem.

As for disposables being cheaper: they are - IF you compare apples to oranges (good quality cloth to store brand disposables).
I use Freetimes, I have a liberal stash of 24 of them. Plus 6 Elementals for under tighter clothes. If I were to buy them in town regular price, 24 X $26, and 6 X $32 = $817 and that is JUST THE DIAPERS, nothing else.

Every 2 months one store in town has their house brand diapers on sale half price, and they have a diaper loyalty card Buy 20 get 1 free. So $10 a case of average 100. I can get 81 cases + 4 free for the same price. This equals over 8,500 changes.

I currently use 9 diapers a day, meaning I could diaper for 2.6 years. So same price as the cloth, with no laundry and no newborn stash. So I could have sposied for less.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whew, lots of suggestions! We are not on septic, it's the washer that's anti-bleach. It's a compact (as in, 2.2 cu. ft.) Bosch Axxis. It has no bleach dispenser, and it says all over it that chlorine bleach will corrode a particular metal in the drum. Part of me doesn't believe that's really true, but the majority of my doesn't want to risk a $1800 washer to find out.

We have a VERY comprehensive stash and have just about every type of diaper. Flats, wool, stay-dry, you name it. None of it seems to matter, and I'm dealing with it on both kids. I battled the exact. same. problem with ODD and old Original Tide fixed it. But I ran out of it a year ago, and have tried around 15 detergents. No luck. And yes, I've stripped multiple times as well. And I use oxygen bleach. I'm kinda just over it at this point. I've probably spent close to $200 on rash creams and detergents. Thinking I'm just going to take some time off. I just wish my giant EBF LO didn't blow out of the cheap sposies.

Oh, and I really do think it's mostly that people just don't change diapers. I have a friend who only changes her kids' diapers twice: morning and night. She gets annoyed with her two-year-old for asking for a diaper change if she's not poopy. So gross.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthdayMama
Oh, and I really do think it's mostly that people just don't change diapers. I have a friend who only changes her kids' diapers twice: morning and night. She gets annoyed with her two-year-old for asking for a diaper change if she's not poopy. So gross.
Yuck! Poor kid :-(

I don't blame you for being frustrated. I hope you can find the solution that works for your family whether it is sposies or cloth. :hug: