Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to do about 7.5 yr old DD's Christmas request?

our 8 year old dd has an ipod, works great. Even if she's at a friends that has internet she can text us. At first she was losing it all.the.time but its better now.

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't buy a cell phone for a 7 year old. My 8 year old asked me when he was going to get a cell phone and I told him when he's old enough to get a job to pay for it.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom
Anna's only request for Christmas is a cell phone so she can text family and play games we can get her a free phone and just add another line to our family plan, but I am still not sure if I want to do this although she is always on my iPhone anyway,LOL and maybe getting her a phone will get her off mine.
Personally, no. I think it's crazy to see little kids with cell phones, but I know a lot of parents are ok with it. Would you consider getting her a hand held gaming device to play games on?
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpendergraff

Personally, no. I think it's crazy to see little kids with cell phones, but I know a lot of parents are ok with it. Would you consider getting her a hand held gaming device to play games on?
She has a couple.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would have no problem getting a 7yr old a cell phone. My 3 yr olds have iPads & do use facetime to call their dad & a few close relatives on them.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #16
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:

My eight year old has a cell phone! We do not have a land line and wanted him to have access to a phone in an emergency (like if he gets off the school bus and nobody is home, etc...) it stays in the charging cabinet unless he needs to use it, but he is allowed to text his dad, myself, or his aunts/grandparents, and he uses the camera a lot. That said, he is very responsible and good with electronics (he has his own laptop and is saving money for an iPad.) in my opinion, if a phone isn't necessary for communication- it's kinda a lame gift. Lol... I feel like she'll be bored with it quickly. If you could afford it, I would go with an iPad with a texting app- there are so many great educational apps for kids that mine borrow my iPad all the time. Even my 18 month old knows how to operate it! Nothing wrong with a tech savvy child, in my opinion.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
mommyofhjm
Registered Users

I'm getting my 9 year old one this year for Christmas. My 11 year old has had one for a couple of years. My 7 year old will wait another year or 2. But me and their father are split, so this way when we are apart they can communicate with either of us when they want. Also when they come home from school they are home by themselves for a bit.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Virgin Mobile has a package that is $35 a month for unlimited text, unlimited data, and 300 minutes.

That being said, my 7 yr old has asked for a cell phone and I've told him he's not old enough. He is getting a tablet for Christmas though, but certainly not an iPad or a Kindle. He's getting less expensive one and if he takes care of it and is responsible with it, I'll consider upgrading him in a year or two.

He can use it for reading, for playing games, and if someone said that there is an app for texting, then I might get that app so he can text our family and ONLY our family.

If you want to get her a phone on your family plan, I'd set minute limits and check your bill very carefully and check her usage frequently.

I don't think it's a right or a wrong, it's one of those parenting choices that is up to each individual family and what's wrong for one, might be ok for another.

If you're hesitant about it, then don't do it. As I said, I've told my 7 yr old "No." That I might re-consider when he's 10 or 12, depending on what's going on in our lives at that point.

If you want her to have a phone in case of emergencies, they used to have these phones that can ONLY dial 3 or 4 preprogrammed numbers.

Good luck.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofhjm View Post
I'm getting my 9 year old one this year for Christmas. My 11 year old has had one for a couple of years. My 7 year old will wait another year or 2. But me and their father are split, so this way when we are apart they can communicate with either of us when they want. Also when they come home from school they are home by themselves for a bit.
I think this is an awesome idea for your family.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What is the texting app you are all talking about? And is it ONLY for Apple products or is their an Android equivalent?

God bless!