Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Wow! Now that kid is a handful

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #32
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Re: 17 Month Old DS Climbing Out of Crib- What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_just_me View Post
My DS started that at 17 months and we got a crib tent. But they don't make them anymore. Not sure what I'd do if we didn't get that.

My DS was into everything and was a danger to himself. No baby proofing could stop him. The toddler bed wasn't an option since he was sharing a room with his sister. She needed to be able to use the bathroom at night so we couldn't have him able to get out of the room. We got another year out of the crib with the tent.

He is now 3 and bed time is STILL horrible. All naps stopped once the crib was gone and he we still have to take everything out of his room at night including the lamp. He empties the dresser and hamper every few nights along with the garbage can if we forget to take that out. The closet is locked so he can't get into that. We even have to "lock" the door so it can only open a few inches until they fall asleep - then we let it open all the way. Without doing that my DS gets into things in the bathroom (which we can't lock since the kids need to use it) I've come into find his room with water all over, tooth paste spread on the carpet soap all over, pouring shampoo down the drain etc. And he is so quiet that you can't hear a thing

I sure hope that your little one makes an easy transition to a toddler bed and settles right in. My littlest is 6 months, and I'm hoping she ends up being like my DD and NOT my DS! I don't think I could survive another one of him - especially since all 3 will be sharing the same room...
Wow! I worry that my son will get into trouble just like this. I will try to teach what he can and can't touch, and establish boundaries (but I know that doesn't always stop them). I think we'll get a toddler bed and see how that goes, plus try putting the gate up in his room and clearing anything out that I don't want him playing with. I'm nervous about this. I do feel like I need to move him soon like most of you have said though, because I am very worried he is going to hurt himself. My mom knocked out her front teeth climbing out of her crib. I barely slept last night worrying that he would try to climb out again. Today at my brother's place he climbed out of the playpen and they don't have a gate at the top of the stairs, and I do not trust him going down their steep stairs at all, he gets distracted WAY too easily. We need to do something soon.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #33
little hoot
Registered Users
seller

I didn't read through all of the posts, so don't know if this was already suggested. DD started escaping her crib around 15 months. She always hated the crib anyway. We moved a bed with a toddler rail into her room but soon realized there was no way she was staying in, and she was too young to teach her to stay without a full out war. We switched to a pack-and-play we already had. The rails are higher and she has only begun getting out of it now at 2 years. The pack-and-play is like her home. She likes it and when we travel it is familiar. I'm seriously considering selling our crib and just using a pack-and-play for any future babies.

Trying out swagbucks.
little hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #34
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did a toddler bed for my younger two at that age. My son climbed out of the crib at 14 months and I switched him to a bed. The room didn't really have toys in it. When he first switched I sat with him until he fell asleep. When I was sitting with them if they wiggle I ask them to calm their bodies and leave the room if they can't calm down. I only had to do it once and when I came back they were calmed down. If the kids get out of bed I bring them back to bed with a it is bedtime. If they keep trying I just bring them back to bed quietly. I gradually reduced the time I sat until they were able to put themselves to sleep on them own. I keep doors closed for fire safety and to keep pets and noise out. They door handles are high up and sticky so they couldn't open the door until they were a little older and were used to the routine anyway. My son was a trouble maker especially at 1 but he did fine with the bedtime routine and didn't get into trouble or wander at night time.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 12-12-2012 at 10:47 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #35
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would get him a toddler bed and put a baby gate on his bedroom door.

That way he won't hurt himself climbing out, but he's contained if you don't hear him get up. I'd make sure that his dresser is mounted to the wall, and there is nothing in his room that can hurt him, and use a baby monitor, if you don't already.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote