Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question for those who have had a Mirena placed

Okay ladies, I have a question....I had a Mirena placed today. It says in the booklet that they gave me that if I develop severe pain within a few hours after the procedure to call my physician b/c it could be an infection. How much pain is normal? It actually didn't hurt at all after I had it placed, and I had no pain going to my car. Afterward we had to stop by Walmart to pick up some pads b/c she said not to use tampons for a week, it hurt some to walk around for the 5 minutes we were there. The drive home kind of sucked b/c it is lots of twists and turns, but once I got home and got settled on the sofa my mild discomfort went away and I was pain free and comfy. It was placed at about 4:30pm.

Well, at about 9pm, my abdomen started to throb pretty badly and even with a full dose of Aleve and 4 ibuprofen it won't go away, and it kills to walk now and when I stand up I get a really sharp pain in that area. Is it normal for it to not really hurt until this long after I had it placed? If it is normal, do you know how long it will last? Should I be concerned?

Advertisement

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sounds like you should call your ob. I have had the mirena and the paragard, neither of which hurt like that at all. Minor discomfort when placed. But no bad pain at all.
It won't hurt just to checked and better safe then sorry.
sorry you're in pain!
www.hyenacart.com/littlebitbusy
mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Question for those who have had a Mirena placed

That kind of pain is not normal and your dr or whomever placed it may have perforated your uterus. if the pain continues I'd go to the er tonight
I remember just mild cramping then nothing then constant stomach aches and headaches.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
AugustHope
Approved as buyer only due to past issues.
seller
seller

I agree with the above. I would call the doctor. When I had it placed the actual procedure was horrible. I did not have the kind of pain you are explaining though. Can't hurt to get it checked out!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

I on the other hand had horrid, horrid pain and nothing was wrong. Just REALLY bad cramping.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I never had any signification pain with mine... I think you should probably call. Everything may be fine, but it's best to be cautious, IMO.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
I had nothing more than barely noticeable cramping. I would call your OB for sure!
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

I had a lot of cramping when I got my Mirena, but I would call the Dr. just to be safe.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a lot of cramping but what your describing seems a lot worse. I'd call the doc if you haven't already.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had cramping but never true pain. I would call doctor ASAP just to be safe. I hope you feel better!