Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Antibacterial products for washings

Is there anything I can add to my wash bucket (we'll be hand washing our dipes) that has antibacterial properties? Is there a product or an essential oil that will work for this?

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Antibacterial products for washings

Along the same train of thought.... how should I hand wash dirty dipes if/when our baby gets a stomach virus (diarrhea)?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Soap and detergent are antibacterial and antiviral to a large degree! Consider the numerous recent studies that say plain soap is as effective as "antibacterial" hand soaps.

Vinegar is antibacterial and antiviral and helps get diapers clean in other ways. With the rinse, it's antibacterial and helps get the detergent out and leaves fabric softer. It is not expected to harm fabrics, though some PUL diaper companies say not to use it.

Oxi-Clean is antibacterial, and I think antiviral, because when combined with water, it turns into hydrogen peroxide and washing soda. It does wear down cloth a bit and isn't fantastic for your skin.

Bleach is obvious but it really does a number on your hands and the cloth.

Tea Tree Oil and Grapefruit Seed Oil have some antibacterial properties, but they can also build up and cause repelling. It's hard to know for sure what quantity is enough to kill germs yet not oil up your diapers.

Some Biokleen products have Grapefruit Seed Oil in them, so those detergents would be antibacterial. Same goes for the bit of oxygen cleaner in Country Save Detergent.

If you have a fungus or virus issue pop up, it is a good time to use bleach, but generally speaking it'll mostly wear out your diapers. A capful in the water once in awhile, maybe.

Last edited by TrennaII; 12-12-2012 at 01:36 PM.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Fantastic, thank you! It looks like vinegar is a good way to go, and that's definitely the cheapest option. We buy it in huge jugs at Costco.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I guess vinegar is antifungal too ... but that research I just found was apple cider vinegar. And hard to say what concentration? (so for yeast I'd still bleach)
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just a warning, but vinegar will void your warranties (many things do) and can also be hard on diapers. I would probably try BacOut first, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Don't worry about warranties.. warranties don't prevent diaper rash and stinking diapers. Bleach is my choice for antibacterial washing. That and super hot water.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
WeeEssentials
Registered Users
Formerly: cmarie14
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
Soap and detergent are antibacterial and antiviral to a large degree! Consider the numerous recent studies that say plain soap is as effective as "antibacterial" hand soaps.

Vinegar is antibacterial and antiviral and helps get diapers clean in other ways. With the rinse, it's antibacterial and helps get the detergent out and leaves fabric softer. It is not expected to harm fabrics, though some PUL diaper companies say not to use it.

Oxi-Clean is antibacterial, and I think antiviral, because when combined with water, it turns into hydrogen peroxide and washing soda. It does wear down cloth a bit and isn't fantastic for your skin.

Bleach is obvious but it really does a number on your hands and the cloth.

Tea Tree Oil and Grapefruit Seed Oil have some antibacterial properties, but they can also build up and cause repelling. It's hard to know for sure what quantity is enough to kill germs yet not oil up your diapers.

Some Biokleen products have Grapefruit Seed Oil in them, so those detergents would be antibacterial. Same goes for the bit of oxygen cleaner in Country Save Detergent.

If you have a fungus or virus issue pop up, it is a good time to use bleach, but generally speaking it'll mostly wear out your diapers. A capful in the water once in awhile, maybe.
Well said! Also, TTO has been shown to cause germ resistance when it's not used in a strong enough solution, which makes me wary to use it unless it's at least 50/50 TTO/water (though the studies are showing anywhere from 4%-10% TTO is strong enough to eradicate germs.)

Something I hadn't thought of is that "antibacterial" soaps do not get rid of fungus or viruses...that's probably obvious to most people, but it never occurred to me until I read it the other day.

Soap is our go-to. TTO at full strength for disinfecting cuts or cold sores (it seems to work for me, though I don't know if it's just me or it actually works, lol)

Make it reusable! Wipe Solution, Wipes, Mama Cloth, Wet Bags, Unpaper towels, Food Baggies, & more!
WeeEssentials on Etsy
Gabe 3-06, Ezra 9-08, & Madeline 5-10 and Abigail 12/12!
WeeEssentials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Every diaper company had weird warranty things. Back out voids a lot of warranties (many say go enzyme free). Water hotter than 100 voids bumgenius warranties, and most of our hot washes are hotter than the that. Every company is different. Moderation is everything!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Mandan914
Registered Users
seller

Grapefruit Seed Extract is a natural antibiotic / antifungal !! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
Mandan914 is offline   Reply With Quote