Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone here RV fulltime?

My parents have an "estate on wheels." Please research the costs involved. It has ended up costing them a ton more than they planned. An oil change is several hundred dollars. New tires were a fortune. Fuel is unbelievable. They get 7 mpg. Filling up the tanks is hundreds of dollars. Plus, it isn't cheap to park places with a full hookup. The state parks around here are $35 a night.

Not saying it isn't do-able. But it was definitely a shock to them the day-to-day costs after they had already shelled out about $150,000 for a brand new RV.

The other issue they have is that their fridge doesn't stay insanely cold because it is propane. If you open the doors much, the food spoils. They bought a smaller fridge for sodas and put it where the washing machine was supposed to go in the bathroom so the fridge didn't have to be open so much. My mom freezes lunch meat at home before they go so that it will be cold all weekend.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-14-2012 at 07:15 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone here RV fulltime?

My grandparents did it from 1989 to 1992 when my great grandmother died and my grandfather inhertited her house. Now they were obviously older and retired so that weighs into this.

They got a coast to coast membership that allowed them to stay at their home park for a month a year (I think). Other parks were relatively cheap in network but they couldn't stay anywhere longer then 2 weeks I think. They got to see the countryside (though I joke that my grandfather was afraid to come to New Jersey for fear that he would be sent off to Africa - like they were doing in WWII).

Good luck if you decided to do it. I can't but I would love to do that (medical issues), or do it in a sailboat.