Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #21
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTeacher
My 8 year-old son is quite underweight (25th percentile) due to medication that he takes for ADHD and ODD. I am concerned. I was thinking of trying some milkshakes to help him gain some weight. He is just so skinny. Would milkshakes help? Are there supplements that I can put in the shakes to encourage weight gain so he looks healthier? Does anyone have any suggestions? He doesn't take meds on the weekends, we just deal with him being a bit out of hand because we don't want his appetite needlessly suppressed.

Please, no debate about whether or not he should be on meds for ADHD. I am looking for suggestions to help him gain weight in a healthy way. Thanks!
Did not read comments just your post.

My brother has ADHD and had suppressed appetite due to the medication and his doctor gave him another medication that made it so he had an appetite.
I don't know what the medication was called but maybe you can ask your doctor?

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #22
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: My son is underweight

I wouldn't worry about it. My son is tall and skinny. Always above 50th percentile for height and around 10th for weight. Kids don't always grow according to a chart.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #23
Angel89411
Banned

My husband is 6'1" and has just reached 145 lbs for the first time ever at 30 years old. He was in the 120s forever. DS2 is looking to be just like him. No matter what or how much they eat... FIL is in his 50s and just in the last few years started gaining weight beyond bean pole. I wouldn't worry about weight unless their are other indicators that he is unhealthy.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #24
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DS's nutritionist recommends chocolate pediasure. You can tube feed exclusively on it and live for years. The chocolate tastes better than the vanilla. Also it tastes a ton better cold than room temperature.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
ralenth
Registered Users

I haven't read all the responses, but my oldest is on meds for ADHD, and we've been trying to get him to gain weight as well. He gets eggs or some form of protien for breakfast most mornings. He doesn't eat much for lunch, so we've been pushing that as well, sending him with a protien shake, so he drinks that (and gets some nutrients) from that at lunch. Dinner he'll eat, and for awhile he was getting almost another full meal at bedtime... A freezer meal, or something else easy that gives him (again) protien. He doesn't snack much, and finding foods he will eat when he's not hungry is hard.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #26
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I recently got these on Amazon and I pack one in his lunch box most days. I don't measure anything but I will typically throw in the blender one or maybe two fresh bananas, then a handful of frozen fruit (DS loves pineapple and strawberries) then maybe half a cup of whole milk kefir or plain yogurt, drizzle of raw honey, some flax seed oil and maybe some almond milk if it needs thinning out. That fills up 4 of those things that I then put in the freezer. I put it frozen in his lunch box so it is mostly thawed by lunch time. Might be an option since you said you're not sure how much he eats at school. My DS loves these so even if he eats nothing else I know he will eat those.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote