Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Info on 'retraction' of foreskin?

In a nutshell can someone tell me why you should not 'retract' or pullback the foreskin on a 5 year old. My mom taught Ds2 (5) he should stretch it in the bath and I need to give her reasons why not to. She is saying that even her 'old school' friends do, with olive oil or whatnot w/ 'their' grandkids. I told her that is not what they do anymore but she is not convinced. I told her it will happen on its own. She says she won't 'worry' about it then, but was curious why? I don't mean like full retraction to pull it away from the glands but just so that the tip of his penis will show/come out kwim? Can't you tell my family is full of chicks lol. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can you ask her 'why' a 5 year old would need to do that? I'm surprised you have to come up with the reasoning instead if the other way around. Lol
Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Info on 'retraction' of foreskin?

Well that is a good point lol. She gave me some reasons and I told her that it will happen by itself it won't stay fused closed forever then she said that her friend uses olive oil on her grandson to help the tip come out to clean. I told her what is 'seen' needs to be cleaned ect.. She told me that doctors say you some clean around the head, okay well he does around the foreskin he is just not circumcised so she then said what I had to say sounded behind the times
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Is she taking care of him? Why is she concerned or entitled to the bathing habits of your 5 year old?
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She lives close and my kids spend a lot of time over there, I am a single mom so she helps me out a ton with them. My son is obsessed with taking baths, like daily, he hates soap but loves playing in a warm bath. Its not really a big deal, but it made me feel very ignorant on the topic and I would love to know more about what the main reasons are so I can just tell my mom that he doesn't need to stretch his penis because of x,y and z..
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthflower
She lives close and my kids spend a lot of time over there, I am a single mom so she helps me out a ton with them. My son is obsessed with taking baths, like daily, he hates soap but loves playing in a warm bath. Its not really a big deal, but it made me feel very ignorant on the topic and I would love to know more about what the main reasons are so I can just tell my mom that he doesn't need to stretch his penis because of x,y and z..
The main reason is that its fused until later on (puberty) and if you retract it FOR the child you run the risk of causing infection and possibly issues with it tearing away too soon and trying to readhere. It's ok for the child to touch/stretch it all they want bc they will stop if it hurts, but no one should do it for him.

You can tell her that they change recommendations as years go by based on best evidence practices. And that the care of a circumcised penis has different protocol. They usually tell parents to retract any leftover skin on a circumcised penis at each change and bath to keep the skin from adhering, and to clean it. But a foreskin protects the head from infection.

Not sure if I have that all right / my DS is circ'd but I won't circ any other boys we have so I've been reading up here and there.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, I looked on MDC but I got so lost over there. Ds1 is circ'd so I have no experience.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthflower View Post
Does his foreskin retract already? Most boys do by age 2 or 3 but it is normal for it to be fused until puberty.

If it is retractable he should be rinsing underneath on his own, but there is NO reason at all for anyone (other than you or dad) to touch him there, retract it or apply oil to it... that just sounds creepy and wrong IMO.

If he doesn't retract, forcing it back will rip tiny tears in his skin, leaving him open to infection, and the skin will just re-adhere anyways.

Here is an answer from a mayo clinic article..

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/unc...-penis/AN02045

and another reputable site:
http://www.healthychildren.org/Engli...No+local+token

Last edited by ktmelody; 12-14-2012 at 01:37 AM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'll be honest her friends "helping" their grand kids out in the bath sounds incredibly invasive and makes me really uncomfortable.
Just tell her that he is the only one who should be retracting it and only once he's ready. Encouraging him to so it before then can do serious damage. If she won't listen to you on this, I'd put my foot down on not allowing anymore baths unless you're there to supervise.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
drabekgirl
Registered Users

My ds's Dr. for ds2 b/c its "sticky" (his words not mine) to retract and use vasiline on around the head for a while this was when he was 5. We only tell them to retract to wash the tip daily. He still plays quite often with it (close to 8) and when is playing more often we remind him to use cream (same kind we use for athletes foot).
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote