Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
gingersnappy
Registered Users
seller

When did you actually start pumping?

I'd planned on taking a good 3 months off work after the birth of my DD to enjoy our time together BUT... the company I worked for went bankrupt unexpectedly and I lost my job about 2 months ago. I'm lucky- I have another job lined up- but I'll be going back to work much sooner. I want to continue to BFing when my new job starts, but when do I start pumping and offering the bottle? I'm due 12/26 but this is my first baby, I'm already anxious, and trying to plan (probably my A type personality too!) I'll be working 3 15 hr shifts, maybe more. There is a lactation consultant at the local hospital but want to see what everyone has for their real-life experiences.

Advertisement

gingersnappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you actually start pumping?

I have gone back to work after each of my kids between 6 and 8 weeks. i have learned m8re each time.

i have the best freezer stock and supply with DD. this is waht I did/do.

pretty much from the beginging I feed one side only. I start oumping the side not eaten on a couple times a day, usuallymorning, at about 3 weeks. I have DH give a bottle about once a week or somstarting at 3 weeks. That has worked well for me for all three kids.

(with the first especially i didnt start pumping extra early enough and had no freezer supply and by 5 months I wasnt responding to the pump and had tomstart suplementing.)

this time I eat oatmeal with flax every morn7ng, drink t8ns of water and pump on the weekends too.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
gingersnappy
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! The logistics are starting to overwhelm me a little!
gingersnappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i start day 3 as i went back to work after 7 weeks. i pump the side not being nursed on. i do this at every feeding (every 3 hours or so) i just went back to work yesterday and have several hundred oz stored up. i get about 24 oz a day on one breast.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

With both I started pumping on day 2. :-) I make LOTS of milk and wanted to take advantage. I fed baby on both sides and pumped after for ten minutes. With a double mechanical pump. Once my milk came in I would do an entire feeding on one breast, then pump off the other until it was empty, plus usually 2-3 minutes after the milk stopped to encourage more milk. Next feeding if switch. I didn't pump at "night" (Btwn 10pm & 6am.

With my last baby, I was pumping for another newborn as well, so that's why I was pumping so much. There is a "science" or "art" to pumping, and lots of different tweaks you can make to your pumping routine to either increase or decrease milk production. Most important is to find the right size of cup pieces (phalanges?). You would really benefit from meeting with an IBCLC, who can help you make a plan and keep in touch for the first couple weeks to troubleshoot and help prevent problems before they crop up.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I would make sure supply is good then do pump on side feed on one side. I got lots too from pumping between feedings as well... but I didn't go back. Sahm cuurently cuz not great otherwise to work....
Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
bandaidnurse
Registered Users
seller

I started pumping as soon as my milk came in both times. I was so engorged it was just more comfortable to pump some. I had a great freezer stash by the time I went back to work. I would start offering the bottle a couple times a week around week 2-3 as long as baby is nursing well by that time. I also always pump before bed and before work in the morning to make sure I am emptied out and to add to the freezer stash. I had such a freezer stash with my first he had breastmilk in his sippy cup for 2 full months after I weaned!
bandaidnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
theoriginalpumpkin
Registered Users
seller

DD1 and DD2, I introduced the pump at 3 weeks to get ready for starting to pump while at work.

DD3-5...right in the hospital as soon as they could bring me the pump. They were so tiny and any drop of colostrum the better. My milk was the first thing to get to them...even before I could hold them the first time.
theoriginalpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
LillyLee
Registered Users
seller

DD had latch issues and was losing weight fast as well as being jaundiced. I started pumping at day 3 after a pretty traumatic birth and supplementing for a few days. Now she won't latch at all and I exclusively pump.
LillyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
magwich
Registered Users

What worked well for my second baby was that I began pumping right away both to build up the freezer stash and to "trick" my body into thinking that my baby's needs were more than they actually were during the period when my milk actually came in. After a while, when I wasn't at work I started nursing almost exclusively on one side, but go lax about consistently pumping the other side. After a while production on my non-nursing side went way way down. Around the nine month mark, this was a problem because I wasn't able to pump what my baby needed, which hadn't been a problem with baby number 1.
magwich is offline   Reply With Quote