Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
jmrw2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
wanting to wean, but worried about DD...

Okay, this might get long...

DD is 13.5 mos. DH would really like me to wean her, and I wouldn't mind having my body back for a bit before we get pg with #4. Where my concern lies is that DD isn't gaining like she should (18 lbs, which is down 1/2 lb, from a couple months ago), and is not eating as much real food as she needs to. Now none of my kiddos have been great eaters until they are a little bigger (think at least 2-2.5), and I have super small kids. I KNOW she still breastfeeds a LOT, and that she would be better off if she would transfer some of that to real food, but I'm just not sure how to make her eat more. If I cut back on feedings she simply gets up more at night, and if I don't feed her then she just cries. And cries. And cries some more. She does like some food, so it's not that she's not eating anything, but I don't think her calorie intake is high enough to cut out breast milk. I guess should could go on a toddler formula, but I'm really not wanting to go that route. I did that with DS1, and we had so many issues that were compounded by doing that, and it was just not worth it.

I guess what I'm asking is, how on earth do I get her to eat more, and slowly transition her onto another milk source? This is my third baby, but darn it, I think I'm having a harder time with her than I did with either of the boys. Sometimes I really wish I had chubby little toddlers. Then I wouldn't have to worry about them getting too skinny. I understand kids aren't naturally fat, but mine tend to air on the side of too small

Advertisement

jmrw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: wanting to wean, but worried about DD...

((hugs)) I have small babies too. I'm all honesty it doesnt sound like weaning is the best route for her. Breast milk is the best nutrition and if she's small I would keep nursing her. My 19 month old is 18lbs and her main source of nutrition is still nursing. I dont know if you can get them to eat more real food if they are not ready. She's still little to mama... It will get better as she gets older
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: wanting to wean, but worried about DD...

i would talk to your husband about your feelings and go to a la leche league meeting for support and ideas. i agree that weaning doesn't sound right for her, but you have to do what is right for you as well. remember though, kids throughout the world often don't wean until up to 7 years old and get a large percentage of their calories from breastmilk for a very long time (especially in areas where food is scarce and people mistakenly believe that adults need more food/better nutrition). breastmilk is liquid gold. if you don't mind bfing her, i wouldn't stop.