Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Illness advice ASAP!

I am not one to take my kiddos to the emergency room without absolute dire need so I am coming on here for advice first. Here is what's going on. Yesterday, (or maybe day before?) Alannah had a bright green bowel movement. This morning she was a little warm (101) and said her stomach hurt. She seemed fine otherwise so I gave her some ibuprofen and we went to church. I gave her the ibuprofen around 7ish. At church she was fine, totally fine. She sat in the pew and goofed around and made thirty trips to the bathroom like she always does. After church there was a cake for our priest's birthday. This was about 11:15 or so. Mariah came up to me and told me Alannah was shaking. I went to her and scooped her up. She was shaking like a leaf. I bundled her up and took the girls home. She was practically falling asleep standing up when I picked her up and she immediately fell asleep in the car. I got them home and laid her on the chair. She just now stopped shaking. Her fever is 104. I am going to give her some tylenol because it's too early for more ibuprofen. Now Mariah JUST got over the flu last week. So the flu is first in my mind however, the green poop has me worried. Do these symptoms sound like anything else besides influenza? I won't take her to the ER for influenza unless she gets dehydrated or I can't get her fever down. But if it's something more serious?

I do have a bottle of Tamiflu here. I am supposed to use it if my kids get symptomatic. Not sure what to do. .

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: Illness advice ASAP!

I think the green bm is probably unrelated. Did she eat something that had blue or purple food coloring in it? That would do it. I think given the history she has flu. As a mom, if there wasn't anyone at high risk for complications due to flu around you, I would hold off on that tamiflu.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Id just treat the fever and Keep her hydrated.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I think the green bm is probably unrelated. Did she eat something that had blue or purple food coloring in it? That would do it. I think given the history she has flu. As a mom, if there wasn't anyone at high risk for complications due to flu around you, I would hold off on that tamiflu.
I'm at high risk for complications unfortunately. I am on Tamilflu myself as a preventative but I can't risk getting sick. I'm really really surprised that I've avoided it thus far.

As far as food coloring, would sugar free koolaid do it? Not purple, but it does have coloring. Please don't throw stones at me. I'm not usually a bottom feeder mom but it's the best way to get them to drink water.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would call your on-call ped and ask about the tamiflu. I would be on the fence about giving it, and would want him/her to make the call.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I would call your on-call ped and ask about the tamiflu. I would be on the fence about giving it, and would want him/her to make the call.
It was prescribed by a doctor for her. When I took Mariah in all of us were prescribed it. I started taking it immediately because I have the highest risk of complications. For everyone else he said I could give it as a precaution or if I wasn't comfortable with that I could give it if either of the other girls started showing symptoms.

Ok, what is all the hype with Tamiflu anyways? It seemed to help Mariah. Maybe it was coincidental but I hate seeing my kids sick and the flu terrifies me. But if there is a really good reason not to give it to my kids please pass on the info. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
As far as food coloring, would sugar free koolaid do it?
I agree the bm is probably unrelated and yes, koolaid would do it. BTDT

Other symptoms do sound like flu, especially since your other dd had it.
www.hyenacart.com/littlebitbusy
mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommagruber View Post
I agree the bm is probably unrelated and yes, koolaid would do it. BTDT

Other symptoms do sound like flu, especially since your other dd had it.
Thanks. I tend to worry about silly things.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not on the fence for complications from Tamiflu-I think it is great. There is some research that shows it has side effects including making kids hallucinate. It didn't impact my son, but he was only 4 months old, so I wouldn't know if it did that. I would be on the fence just because I wouldn't be sure if it was flu or not, and wouldn't want to run out for when she needs it again in a couple weeks. It is expensive, so insurance would probably not cover it more than once in a winter.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-30-2012 at 12:14 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I'm not on the fence for complications from Tamiflu-I think it is great. There is some research that shows it has side effects including making kids hallucinate. It didn't impact my son, but he was only 4 months old, so I wouldn't know if it did that. I would be on the fence just because I wouldn't be sure if it was flu or not, and wouldn't want to run out for when she needs it again in a couple weeks. It is expensive, so insurance would probably not cover it more than once in a winter.
oh ok, that makes sense. I just keep hearing all this bad stuff but it worked for us! I didn't think about the fact that my insurance might not cover it more than once. Good point.