Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #91
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah its not good for anyone. Do you think shes having tummy issues? Ear infection?

Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #92
Haleybailey
Registered Users
seller

Re: DECEMBER 2012 CHAT THREAD

Hey everyone! Hubby and are starting the world of Foster Parenting! We have been talking for some time about it and finally feel ready to dive into it! We are moving into a bigger place next month to accommodate kids and are really excited! I am calling Wednesday to see when we can start taking Pride classes. I have a good friend who is a SW who is going to help us go through everything we need to do! She has been very helpful and I wish she could be "our" social worker! My first question is did you have the nursery done before all the home visits? We already have lots of clothes and diapers, a stroller, Carseat and carriers, and a PAC n play. Looking into getting a swing, rocking chair and infant seat from a good friend (I know it hasn't been in an accident). And looking for Crib(s) in Craigslist. Any advise? How much did you prepare before you had a placement? What do they "come with"? Sorry for all the questions! Thank you!!
Hi I'm Haley, wife to Joel. TTC #1 With PCOS. Going through acupunctureand clomid to build our family! Cloth diapering, tandem baby wearing and signing Nanny to baby D & M (Sept 2012)
Haleybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #93
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They usually don't come with much, if anything. My newborns have come with basically nothing. I did have an older baby come with a lot of acceptable clothing, diapers, bottle, food, but that isn't the norm. Of all items, I wouldn't look for a crib on Craigslist due to the recent changes in crib safety as the up to date cribs are only a couple years old so very hard to find used. I had to throw out the crib I had used for my bio children. I bought one off of Amazon. It is nothing fancy, but I think it looks pretty nice for the $99 I spent on it. I also would buy clothing in the age ranges we planned to take when I saw something for a good deal or even something I just loved. Seemed like overkill since I have clothes 0-4, but having those clothes have saved me! I've made a ton of use out of all the 0-12 month clothing I bought.

You may already know, but it's important to keep in mind the ages and situations you want. I see you're in CA and I know they have some really good fostering to adopt programs where you can get a baby/toddler already on the adoption path. Really nice if adoption is your goal, but I would think getting a newborn may be a little less likely. You could take a risk with straight fostering and see what happens. That's basically all we can do where I am. Some situations may look more likely to end up adoptable eventually than others, but things can change. Guessing by your signature, I am thinking adoption may be your goal, but you don't say that in your thread so I'm not going to assume.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #94
Haleybailey
Registered Users
seller

Adoption isn't our goal. If we really connect with a child and they become available than we would love to, but are more looking at being a foster home for the time being. We arnt going to stop TTC, just more NTNP. I still will be going to acupuncture, but with the goal of me being healthy and getting my hormones balanced so I can lose weight and reduce the risks that are associated with PCOS. We have been trying for so long that it's time for a break, time to give our love to babies that are here and see where that leads us. We plan to continue with foster care even if we do miraculously become pregnant. I'm just so ready to be a mom, even if it's only for a short time.

As for the cribs I think I am going to get them from my old boss. They have twins that are 4. I got the parts for the recal and assembled them when I worked for them last year, so I know they are up to standards and safe. And they match Proobly get her rocking chair too and dresser/changer
Hi I'm Haley, wife to Joel. TTC #1 With PCOS. Going through acupunctureand clomid to build our family! Cloth diapering, tandem baby wearing and signing Nanny to baby D & M (Sept 2012)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #95
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

We are using an old drop side crib, all that is required is the right spacing.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #96
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
We are using an old drop side crib, all that is required is the right spacing.
Those are not allowed here. Our DCS sent out a notice last summer that you are not permitted to use them, and were required to buy a non-dropside crib.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #97
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

I followed your link to Etsy & saw that you are in SD. We fostered there through Angel's. I saw recently that they are licensing people in something like a month! Our new Agency - Koinonia - is in SD,too & we really love them. I would encourage you to consider them over the county.

When we got licensed this time we forgot to have a crib for the inspection, so we ran out & got a pack & Play & that was fine for getting licensed. They know that we just want infants (Angels, BTW, only does under 2, and only do one placement at a time - though sometimes they get sib sets). We have always kept infants in our room,and up to age 2 in your room is considered acceptable.

One of our placements came with his diaper bag (his mom even put his newborn card from the hospital & shot record in it - score!), our next was a newbie from the hospital & we had to bring clothes for her to the hospital, but the nurses gave us a stocked bag of formula. The next placement was already in care and his previous family was retiring, so he came with everything! You just never know!
Angels always gave us a diaper bag with donated diapers,formula,bottles and an outfit in it, but sometimes the bottles were donated because they were defective (once gave a baby a bottle just to find out it had no hole in the nipple. that sucked! LOL),stuff like that.

I hope it all goes well for you!
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #98
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
January thread is started.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #99
Haleybailey
Registered Users
seller

A MONTH??? Thats crazy!!! What's the difference between Angels and the county? Besides only taking one child? In SD are the foster parents reaponsible for transportation to visits? Do they have any rules about bumpers? We have a whole crib set with a bumper and was wondering if we could even use it. It's super cute We have a cradle that will be in our room until they're sleeping through the night. Also planning on getting a travel swing and a booster high chair. We already have a bouncer and a PAC n play. Thank you all for answering my million questions! I am so excited!!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #100
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Of course every state has different rules. Pack n plays and bassinets, bumpers are not allowed here. Our crib needs to be 2011 or newer. Our first placement was twins so we had to run and get a second crib because they wouldn't let them sleep in the same crib, and they were only 3 mths. We already had bought a new crib prior to our final home study. I wish we had some clothes. The first days were crazy and my dh had to run Meijer to spend $50 on 4 sleepers that I continually washed until I could get some sales or craigslist finds.