Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
croark
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please suggest a spiral method for Kindy math

I really don't have any interest in Saxon because of scripting and I've heard it changes when they get older.
I had looked at CLE and noticed they didn't have a math for K! What up with that?

Advertisement

croark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post
I really don't have any interest in Saxon because of scripting and I've heard it changes when they get older.
I had looked at CLE and noticed they didn't have a math for K! What up with that?
I didn't like it either, but knew it was spiral. I used it for almost one year and I hated it and so did my son, but I know some people love it.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
LAF512
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post
I was thinking about this, and if your ds is already doing MUS Alpha, he would probably be okay doing CLE 1. It starts off very basic. The workbooks are very reasonable so it wouldn't cost much to try it.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
croark
Registered Users
seller

Is CLE Christian Light Education? I've heard of it but just realized I don't know exactly what CLE stand for to look it up!

ETA: HAha!! I have looked it up before! I even mentioned it earlier in this post. Duh. Apparently I temporarily forgot. Thanks so much for letting me know about grade level 1. I'm feeling it.

Last edited by croark; 12-31-2012 at 06:16 PM.
croark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

I've heard a lot of good things about CLE, but it didn't click for me

Also something else to look up would be Math Mammoth It takes a lot of printing, but isn't expensive to buy. You can also do a supplement program.
Or Jump at home (it's one in timberdoodle). It looks like it would be a good supplement if you stuck with MUS.
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
3boys_mom
Registered Users

http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/...ram/index.html

Free....This is the program I used up until this year....Thinking of going back to it.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #17
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm using ABEKA's 1st grade for my kindergartener. So far I'm really liking their method. At first I wasn't quite sure, but now that we are getting closer to 1/2 way through I'm really liking the way everything builds on the previous things taught. They really don't leave ANYTHING out. Looking back I'm amazed at everything my DD has learned so far. It is much more than I expected her to learn and we are not quite 1/2 way through yet.

I don't care for Saxon. Used it as a kid and hated it even then!

MUS is really neat, I love many of the ways they explain concepts, but I personally felt that it was more of a supplemental system and not a full math program. But that is just me. I know many people use it and love it! I could see using parts of it to supplement any other math program, but it just felt incomplete to me.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
croark
Registered Users
seller

MUS is very thorough. Just in a different order than most other programs. They don't throw several different concepts in one or two lessons like spiral methods. It covers everything a spiral program does, just in a diff order. It's truly a mastery program.