Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: best bottle?

Are you giving the bottle? I always had to have DH give the bottle and I had to leave the room.

wife and mom-- no other special labels. Just trying to do the best I can.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by tysmomma
thank you so much ladies. so far I have tried the Nuk bottle, only twice (on two separate days) and she did not like it, pretty much refused to suck from it. so maybe I should try a different bottle? I was thinking tommy tippie or this really round one I saw the other day, can't remember the name of it though
As Keen1981 said, the window of acceptance is really important and you have to keep trying! (L leche league says 4-6 weeks i think but I am not 100% sure...) With ANY bottle you want, I would say at least 5 times. Also, try to have someone else give her the bottle if you can (I had to do it myself and I did succeed, it took me almost two weeks but it worked).

Try to give her the bottle in ANOTHER PLACE than the one you use to BF.
Try another POSITION also, for example laying her on a pillow (not flat though), or putting her in the SWING (this worked for me), try any position where she does not see you.
Try to sing to her while giving bottle.
Of course, milk should be at body temp (but you certainly know that).

Try silicone or latex (if no allergie issues) nipples.
I tried all those tricks and more with my DD2 at 4weeks, having my DD1 who never took the bottle I was "a little" stressed out, but patience pays off! You can do it!
Don't forget, babies can feel your stress so if it does not work, just give her 5-10min and try again so baby can change her mind.
La leche league is also a great help!
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: best bottle?

I know your baby is still young, but I find it might be better to start introducing a bottle earlier a little at a time. With my LO I introduced the bottle while he was younger and he had his tolerance for the bottle. I stopped using it for a while because I was primarily at home and he preferred the breast now he is 4 mths and refuses the bottle all the time. If you do introduce the bottle a bit now just be consistent with and start off small. I'm feeling the burn now.

I have tried many bottles and now im trying the playtex ortho bottles with the drop in liners and i find he is beginning to take to it. the nipples are softer than some others and might be giving him the feeling of squishiness like the breast.
nickiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:
I used the Walmart cheapies & introduced the bottle around 2 months old. Ds however loved it way too much and started refusing to nurse so i stopped the bottle completely unless absolutely necessary (occasional babysitters). I also bought breastflow bottles and have loved them for the past few months. LO is 11 mo now and I made the mistake of letting him have one with the #2 nipple which has a faster flow & now he doesn't want to nurse at all for the past 5 days

But anyway, I do like the breastflow ones just keep to the #1 nipples if you end up having a bottle addict baby like mine. I think the Walmart cheapies were fine as well, but the breastflow ones did help him keep a good latch a bit better. They can leak if you boil them, so use alternate cleaning methods..
Busy mama loving on (cleaning up after)
4 boys ages 2 , 10, 12 & 37
GotAllBoys is offline   Reply With Quote