Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
Jasmini
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Timing for Repeat CSection for Classical or other Non-Low Transverse Incision

....... and then your baby decides to be born on a Monday

My 5. c/s was planned for 39+0 and my water broke at 37+2. I was very worried about the time, but he was ok So much about planning

Advertisement

nappies and more ......cloth diapers, baby carriers and more... and find us on Facebook
Do you Scentsy?
Jasmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
MaryD
Registered Users

Re: Timing for Repeat CSection for Classical or other Non-Low Transverse Incision

Hi. I had a classic T C-Section. My daughter was diagonally breeched and they couldn't even turn her once they did the low transverse incision, so they had to cut into the upper portion of the uterus. I'm 25 weeks pregnant now and my OB said at my FIRST appointment that he wants me to have another C-section at 37 weeks. No sooner. No later. We haven't discussed the specifics, like if I'm going to take steroids before having the C-section or not. I would think that I would take something at least to develop my son's lungs better. My OB told me that I was in the highest risk category for a uterine rupture. I too live about 20-30 minutes from the hospital and personally, I wouldn't want to risk the rupture. If I were to have a uterine rupture, I and my son could die. If my son is born early, he may need extra treatment but at least he would be alive.
MaryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not had a c/s but doing steroid shots and then an amnio for lung maturity prior to the scheduled C/S at 37 weeks sounds reasonable. Then if lungs aren't ready you just wait another week no biggie. I think if I were in your shoes I would follow the OBs suggestion esp with your history. Do you know if you are having a boy or a girl? Only ask because girls tend to be more mature earlier so I would be even less worried if you are expecting a girl.

I would prep myself for the issues that near term babies can have like breastfeeding trouble, blood sugar issues, temp issues, etc.. But mostly likely if they are showing good lung maturity theses may or may not be an issues.
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I suppose if you lived closer to the hospital it would be easier to wait.

I have never had a section, but I have had early babies, and honestly after 35 weeks is when the "risk of premature birth" folks jump up and down, it's a big milestone. The difference between 37 and 38/39 to me isn't much. But alas my early babies came hope right away.

Do remember though even 40 week old babies can end up in the NICU. A rupture 35 mins from hospital is not going to be good. What if there is traffic, how long is the trek?

The doc wants a happy outcome for you and baby. it's easier to give a bit of support to the baby if the baby is early than if you rupture. Also maybe the doctor HAS lost a patient due to rupture.

Doctors usually have sore spots, due to past patients and sometimes mistakes that haunt them.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryD View Post
My OB told me that I was in the highest risk category for a uterine rupture. I too live about 20-30 minutes from the hospital and personally, I wouldn't want to risk the rupture. If I were to have a uterine rupture, I and my son could die. If my son is born early, he may need extra treatment but at least he would be alive.

OP, can your OB do the fetal fibronectin test? It's not fool proof I know but if they did the test at 35 weeks, then 36 it may help to know if you are at risk for pre-term labour
Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

LOL just saw, this is an old old thread, what did ever happen OP?