Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Parents of early reader, a ?

http://earlyliteracyweb.org/earlylit...ks_talkers.htm

This has some great tips and good books. I would encourage him to try sounding out simple words, like dog, hat, cat, etc.

Advertisement

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSB
Hi there,

My DS is obsessed with the alphabet. He has know all the upper case letters (recognize and say all their names) since 18 months. Has known all their sounds since 20 months, and has known most of the lower case since his 2nd birthday. He can also read about 6 words. He has done all of this on his own (like bringing me blocks or fridge letters and saying "this?", to which I would say the letter, and learned the sounds from a leap frog video) But now I would like to know if there is anything special I should be doing to help him learn to read? We read books all.the.time b/c he LOVES them. He often goes and sits in his play tent and looks at his books.

When reading, should I just read as normal, or should I be pointing to the words as I read?

My other kids were late readers, and I like having a little reader and would like to encourage it

TIA!
My DD learned her letter sounds from LF Letter Factory too! We just found LF Word Factory at Goodwill, so will probably start watching that. I think it takes the letters and letter sounds and builds to sounding out short words. Haven't watched it yet, but just wanted to let you know it's out there! I'll be checking back to see what advice people give b/c it sounds like my DD is near the same point as your DS.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
My just turned 5 year old starter reading about 6 months ago. I follow with my finger when I read. When he reads I have him use his 'reading stick'. It's just a tongue depressor he drew a face on that points to the words for him as he goes. He is learning blends and how to sound out longer words and this helps. It's also a bookmark.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

i think thats the best thing you can do for him. read, read, read, and encourage him to "read" too... my ds loved spelling the letters off of signs at that age.

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #15
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

My daughter learned to read very early, and I think one of the things she really liked was having some really nice very simple books to practice with. I do a lot of thrift shopping, and found quite a few of the books that have just one sentence on a page that is very well supported by the pictures- like... Emmie's Walk She saw a red car. She saw a purple house. She saw a blue boat....

They were nice for her to practice her new skills on her own and feel a lot of success. She could also practice tracking print easily with so few words on a page.

Scholastic book club I think puts out some sets like these.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
momgoddesswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think you really need to do anything special beyond reading to him and making books available. Our son is 6 and in grade 1 he's at a grade 4 reading level. Honestly we didn't do anything special with him but read all the time and also started work books. Hour also LOVED to carry around him own pad and pencil at a very early age. Ge would write "stories" which started out as scribbles when he was younger, but he would tell you the elaborate story, then when he learned to write he now makes mini novels with drawings etc. Maybe he would like his own pad and pencil ?

We also had the leapfrog fridge phonics that he LOVED

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.~John Wooden"
ISO: WCW cuffed longies or bloomers size Small
momgoddesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Covergirl
Registered Users
seller

Subbing... Great advice from the PPs. I hope to use some of it soon with my almost-28-month-old son.
Covergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Just keep reading books, signs, everything. My DD1 was the same and is a fairly fluent reader at 4 with minimal intervention on my part. Some kids are just ready sooner!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #19
jrpbrown1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another thing that helps keep their interest and mix things up a bit is to make reading an active thing - ask him to find a word that begins with "s" or or ends in "t", etc. You can also point out something in the illustrations to reinforce the text. This is such a fun stage, imo.
jrpbrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #20
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If he ever watches cartoons, try Word World and Super Why. Excellent word intro for reading concepts.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote