View Poll Results: Do you wait 24 hours after fever/vomiting to send you child to school?
Yep! Rules are rules! 60 82.19%
Nah, if they're not acting sick they go. 6 8.22%
It depends (but it shouldn't really...) 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you follow the 24-hour-rule?

Yes, I do for daycare/preschool. I enjoy any excuse to spend more time at home with DD. I think she enjoys having mommy dote on her when she feels sick. Once DD starts elementary school, she's off to school if she feels better.

Advertisement

Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Yes out of concern & polite to others.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
The kids arent in public school or go to daycare but we dont leave the house for 24hrs after a fever/vomiting has subsided. Partly b/c I find it rude to spread sick germs and partly b/c I dont want to be dragged out of the house while trying to recover from a sickness and figure my kiddos dont feel up to it either.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Yes. We follow the 24 hour rule. If my kid has a fever at 10:00am, they don't go to school that day, or the day after, even if they don't run fever after that. I am not going to send my kid to school sick, especially because I don't appreciate it when other parents do it.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mostly we do, yes. Generally, my kids are super tired coming off a day of fever and/or vomiting so a day of rest is needed. Now if a fever breaks at 10am and they rest all day and are fine - I'm sending them to school at 8am the next day even if it hasn't been 24 hours technically. I do round up sometimes. Vomiting is a little trickier for us - dd1 is a puker. If she coughs too hard she will puke. So for dd1 my puking rule is you have to be done puking and have eaten (and kept down) a full meal before she can go back to school. So if she's puking after supper, she has to stay home at least for the morning because she has to wait and see if breakfast will stay down. With dd2 who rarely pukes, I wait 24 hours before discussing preschool with her.

If the school sends you home with a fever, they won't let you back for 24 hours (unless it is an ear infection and you go see a dr to confirm and get meds). So if they send a kid home at 1:00 and you try to send them the next day, they'll call and tell you to come get them again because it hasn't been 24 hours (I've never done this but I've heard complaints from people who have had this done to them).
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I definitely follow the rule. The only exception occasionally would be my little guy. He's a puker. He has various medical problems that cause vomiting that are unrelated to an acute illness. But I can tell the difference between a stomach bug & his tummy troubles (EE). If I suspect it's a virus, it's 24 hours vomit, diarrhea & fever free to return to school.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post

If the school sends you home with a fever, they won't let you back for 24 hours (unless it is an ear infection and you go see a dr to confirm and get meds). So if they send a kid home at 1:00 and you try to send them the next day, they'll call and tell you to come get them again because it hasn't been 24 hours (I've never done this but I've heard complaints from people who have had this done to them).
The pre-school I use to work at did this too. What sucked though is people would send their kids back to school after the 24 hours doped up on tylenol and they would still have a fever. We wouldn't know until the tylenol wore off around lunch time and the kid had been infecting the whole class for 3 hours. The director would say something and the parent would say "oh, I didn't know he still had a fever" - if he still needed tylenol to be comfortable than he shouldn't be in school. We had one parent that did it all the time. I understand she couldn't afford to miss work but neither could the other parents who had to because she sent her child sick. The director finally had to tell her she would have to bring doc's note every time he was sent home with a fever. She really messed her self up on that one. Now not only does she have to take off work she also has to pay for a doc every time because she wouldn't follow the rules.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I am super impressed how many follow it. I appreciate that. My oldest and youngest boys are home from school today. They are acting fine but both ran fevers yesterday between 5pm and 7pm until Motrin kicked in. They prob could have gone but you just never know.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

The only time I didn't follow that rule my kids wound up with a relaps worse than the initial illness. So yes we do follow that rule. If they were hit particularly hard with the illness we may even make it 48 hours to allow for recovery time.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I put yes, but not because rules are rules. My oldest is very hard to tell if he is sick and he has a hard time regulating temperatures anyway so I don't like to send him to school just because he seems okay.