Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Menu ideas? Allergies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleThingsMama638 View Post
Thank you! We actually do French dip sandwiches a lot. They are so easy in the crockpot and the kids love dipping in the juice. I hadn't thought of Salisbury steak! We will have to try that one!

It's an actual coconut allergy. She had a rash that wasn't going away, put CJs on it and it got worse so I had her tested. Our allergist thought I was crazy for requesting it, but he thought that for corn too and that's on derived ingreds one of her biggest allergies. Apparently not much is known about coconut, I've been having a heck of time finding information on it and what hidden words to avoid. I'm pretty certain she also has some hidden fruit allergy but I don't even know where to start with that. But the coconut allergy tells me it's very likely.
Yeah. This is the only list I found on derived ingreds http://coconutallergy.blogspot.com/2...gredients.html . most people are fine with these though and of course that is only for products. Find a good allergist- ours never questioned what we wanted tested. DD had a facial reaction to cantaloupe, that got worse over ta couple days- she had been eating it for over a year when it happened. She started efusing it and it had been one of her favorites. She loves fruit so when she refuses one we take notice now. Sometimes its just that day and she goes back to normal. Any prolonged refusal we make note of to talk to with the doc.

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
notinoz
Registered Users
seller

For those with egg allergies - my daughter has a severe allergy to both chicken and eggs but can use duck eggs. That was a life saver.
notinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

could you use rice milk instead? considering coconut, almond, soy, and dairy are out of the picture?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by notinoz
For those with egg allergies - my daughter has a severe allergy to both chicken and eggs but can use duck eggs. That was a life saver.
Where can you find duck eggs?
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie.sattler
could you use rice milk instead? considering coconut, almond, soy, and dairy are out of the picture?
We do use rice milk when possible, but a lot of dairy recipes seem to have another ingredient she can't have. And vegan cheese is limited and tbh kind of gross. It's slimy :/ I also haven't found a butter replacement we can use,
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 AM   #16
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleThingsMama638 View Post
We do use rice milk when possible, but a lot of dairy recipes seem to have another ingredient she can't have. And vegan cheese is limited and tbh kind of gross. It's slimy :/ I also haven't found a butter replacement we can use,
Yeah, that is why we don't bother with cheesy recipes. We can use Earth's Balance for butter but that only came available locally this year so we have always used olive or veggie oil in place of butter.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
MandaMommy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleThingsMama638

Ahh eggs! That is what I was forgetting.kid #2 is allergic to eggs as well.

We are a meat and potatoes family here.. We eat a ton of steak and chicken and rice or potatoes and broccoli. Most turkey has dairy or corn in it. I'd love to cook it more, the kids love turkey. And most pork is cured in dextrose (corn).
I've been having trouble with turkey too. Even though I don't see dairy or soy listed in the ingredients I know it's there because the baby gets super fussy and sometimes she has blood in her stool. I'm going to look into a different meat supplier because I'm so sick of chicken.
MandaMommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4

Yeah, that is why we don't bother with cheesy recipes. We can use Earth's Balance for butter but that only came available locally this year so we have always used olive or veggie oil in place of butter.
Yeah, I found out that parkay squeeze spread is milk free, but not soy free. Dd seems to be ok with small amounts of soy...we thought maybe the soy test popped up because of the peanuts (there's a correlation) but we tried the parkay and she instantly had allergy shiners :/ we don't have earths balance around here, or I haven't found it. I usually use olive oil when cooking, and spectrum shortening for baking but it doesn't always turn out the same.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMommy2

I've been having trouble with turkey too. Even though I don't see dairy or soy listed in the ingredients I know it's there because the baby gets super fussy and sometimes she has blood in her stool. I'm going to look into a different meat supplier because I'm so sick of chicken.
It's usually in the "flavorings." We found organic turkey at Kroger, but a 10lb turkey was $33, and it was very dry and tough. I can't justify $33 on a turkey, especially when none of us liked it.

Anymore recipe recommendations? We are trying the Salisbury steak tomorrow. We've had steak twice this week :/ and spaghetti, and roast, and a whole chicken. I feel so burnt out on recipes.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #20
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I make spaghetti and chilli with ground pork and turkey.
I can't do beef either.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote