Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #21
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Toddlers on a leash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
My son is probably the world's sweetest, most obedient toddler; I wouldn't even think of using one on him. My daughter? Different story. We may need to get her one if we're unable to find a straight jacket in size 18-24 mos. Whatever works.
Haha, this made me laugh out loud. I think whatever keeps your child the safest is what is important. I saw a mama at the mall the other day and she had 18 month old twins on a back pack leash. They seemed happy and she could actually walk in the mall in peace. I honestly couldn't imagine not having them in that situation.

We will see with my guy. I might be calling you up to see if they have a straight jacket in his size so I can get him in the car seat!!!

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #22
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to think they were awful. I was at the mall one day and saw two different families using them for their toddlers. One mom literally dragged her kid into a rack of clothes, and the other dad was letting the kid run everywhere, within the reach of the leash. I thought it was horribly irresponsible (it was), and painted kid leash users with a broad brush - all THOSE parents must not want to be bothered with their children. But then we took all 3 kids to Disney last fall. They were 4, 2, and 10 months. I bought one for my 2 year old. My opinion on them changed, thanks to some mamas on here who set me straight. I would rather have had dd on a leash than lose her at Disney. We ended up not using it for more than 10 minutes, so if anyone wants to buy a very gently used ladybug backpack/leash, pm me.

Last edited by Celeste; 01-17-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Celeste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #23
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
Well since you asked .....

I would not use one for my children as they are not dogs and deserve more respect than to be lead/dragged around like one.
Just HAD to go straight there didn't you? :eyeroll:

I have used a leash. I don't lead or drag my child with it. He never minded it at all, in fact he PREFERRED it to being worn. Personally I think using the leash showed FAR more respect for my son that forcing him to be worn or strapped into a stroller. It also kept him safe which is the point of a leash.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #24
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Well since you asked .....

I would not use one for my children as they are not dogs and deserve more respect than to be lead/dragged around like one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
In reference to the "I treat my child better than my dog" type of arguement-I put a leash on my dog for my dog's protection. I OF COURSE believe my child deserves as much protection as my dog. And since my child DOES need to be protected from herself, of course I will use a leash when necessary.
This has ALWAYS been my comment LOL
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #25
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
Just HAD to go straight there didn't you? :eyeroll:

I have used a leash. I don't lead or drag my child with it. He never minded it at all, in fact he PREFERRED it to being worn. Personally I think using the leash showed FAR more respect for my son that forcing him to be worn or strapped into a stroller. It also kept him safe which is the point of a leash.
Well yes I "went there" because it is what I think about leashes. She asked for opinions so I stated mine.

I believe that children are brighter and more intelligent than a dog so you could teach them to obey and walk along beside you.

Honest question if you don't lead your child with it than what exactly do you do?

Last edited by AbbieJack; 01-17-2013 at 07:23 AM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #26
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I believe that children are brighter and more intelligent than a dog so you could teach them to obey and walk along beside you.

Honest question if you don't lead your child with it than what exactly do you do?
Some children just aren't that teachable unfortunately...and if my DD gets lost she doesn't have the ability to tell someone who she is or who she belongs to. Safety trumps anything else in our case.

For the second part, I think (just going by my own kids) that it usually ends up being the child in front "leading" as it were, not the parent dragging the child by the leash. Semantics really!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #27
cbreeding
Registered Users

I think with any parenting/baby tool (such as a swing, stroller, harness, etc.) it should be used and not abuse as it fits for the parent and child.

Quote:
This is how we used it. When DD and I would be somewhere walkable but kind of crowded, she got a choice - hold my hand or walk with the harness/leash. She almost always chose the leash because holding my hand for that long made her arm numb. She felt the security that I still had her but she had freedom to walk at her own pace, bend down and check out a bug, and I knew that she couldn't wander off. She actually lead me as she was always in front. When we got to a crosswalk or boarded the subway/bus, she had to hold my hand.

It is not something that everyone likes or wants to use. Personally I'm not a big fan of strollers for many reasons, but mainly because I want my kids to walk and use up their energy rather than riding everywhere. For me, the harness/leash is a happy medium between the confines of the stroller and the comfortableness of holding my hand for long periods of time.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #28
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreeding View Post
I think with any parenting/baby tool (such as a swing, stroller, harness, etc.) it should be used and not abuse as it fits for the parent and child.

This is how we used it. When DD and I would be somewhere walkable but kind of crowded, she got a choice - hold my hand or walk with the harness/leash. She almost always chose the leash because holding my hand for that long made her arm numb. She felt the security that I still had her but she had freedom to walk at her own pace, bend down and check out a bug, and I knew that she couldn't wander off. She actually lead me as she was always in front. When we got to a crosswalk or boarded the subway/bus, she had to hold my hand.

It is not something that everyone likes or wants to use. Personally I'm not a big fan of strollers for many reasons, but mainly because I want my kids to walk and use up their energy rather than riding everywhere. For me, the harness/leash is a happy medium between the confines of the stroller and the comfortableness of holding my hand for long periods of time.
Oi! Can I tell ya? We made DD ride in the stroller at the fair once she got tired...she proceeded to shout *really* inappropriate things at the people in her way. But we couldn't hear her b/c it was busy & loud, she was lower (sitting vs standing) than she usually is, had the canopy pulled over, etc. It was soooooo embarassing (but still a little funny ). Strollers can present a whole different set of headaches...
Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
Oi! Can I tell ya? We made DD ride in the stroller at the fair once she got tired...she proceeded to shout *really* inappropriate things at the people in her way. But we couldn't hear her b/c it was busy & loud, she was lower (sitting vs standing) than she usually is, had the canopy pulled over, etc. It was soooooo embarassing (but still a little funny ). Strollers can present a whole different set of headaches...

lol! DD2 rides facing us, thank goodness!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #30
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

dp