Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #41
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans View Post
600 hours of school for this year?
That's so nice that so many of your church family are homeschoolers/Christian private schoolers.
Yep. Missouri makes you log hours. You have to have 1000. Now my hours are a bit...shall we say...padded, because my oldest is 6.5, and IMO there is no need for a 6 year old to get 1000 hours of school in a year.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #42
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah ny I think says you need 900 hrs!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #43
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MO mamas, I have a ? Filing a letter of intent with the school district is not required nor are standardized tests, correct? My PAT educator for DS tried to tell me I had to and I don't think I do. Am I wrong?
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #44
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Yep. Missouri makes you log hours. You have to have 1000. Now my hours are a bit...shall we say...padded, because my oldest is 6.5, and IMO there is no need for a 6 year old to get 1000 hours of school in a year.
But in Missouri you don't have to be in school until you're 7, so technically you don't have to keep records yet, right?

Speaking of, this is a question for everyone. How do you actually keep records? Do you actually break it down, 1 hour for this subject? This much for that subject? I've always felt lost by that, and feel like I'm not doing it "right" or good enough. Would anyone be willing to show me a picture?
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #45
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
MO mamas, I have a ? Filing a letter of intent with the school district is not required nor are standardized tests, correct? My PAT educator for DS tried to tell me I had to and I don't think I do. Am I wrong?
Nope, only if your pulling them out of school. They will try to get u to send a form saying you hs in the district because they can get funding for helping you, say with speach or something.. but you don't have to do that either. Ask HSLDA. sometimes teachers are misunderstanding the law, they don't mean anything by it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #46
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
That is so sweet! I hope the sleepover goes well and the new friendship blooms.

Good news on Keegan and Zack doing a lttle better in the reading department. Owen is younger but just in the past week has started recognizing some of the sight words in the Reading Lesson. It's so exciting to see them "get it." And it's nice not to have to sound out "it" and "is" every. single. time.
That's one of my favorite things about homeschooling; being there and being able to see it and enjoy it when they just *get it* and it *clicks*!
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #47
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans View Post
But in Missouri you don't have to be in school until you're 7, so technically you don't have to keep records yet, right?

Speaking of, this is a question for everyone. How do you actually keep records? Do you actually break it down, 1 hour for this subject? This much for that subject? I've always felt lost by that, and feel like I'm not doing it "right" or good enough. Would anyone be willing to show me a picture?
After I hit reply, I decided I'm probably not the person who should answer this based on the backwards way I do things.

I'm in MO and I take the 1000 hours and divide it by 180 days giving me a little over 5.5 hours a day with 3.33 of that being "core" subjects. I plan a week at a time and put it on an Excel spreadsheet. Knowing that each day needs to be roughly 5.5 hours, I assign certain subjects an amount of time reasonably close to how long it actually takes. Math gets an hour, reading gets two hours (one hour for spelling, grammar and working on whatever writing project and the second hour for free reading time), science and history get 30-45 minutes each, geography and religion get 30 minutes. The girls rotate the last subjects so it's usually just one hour for both. Then the rest of the day/week is filled with our extra curriculars, home management skills, service hours, etc. Sometimes we end up with way more "core" hours b/c DD2 is in a robotics club, so at one point she was spending 6 hours/week doing just that, so then things like map drawing in geography became "art" which is non-core to even our hours out.

I think the whole thing is goofy to begin with, b/c I taught in both public and parochial school and very rarely did the kids get 5.5 hours a day of quality instructional time. It was maybe 4 hours after misc. silliness, discipline, administrative duties, snack, lunch, etc. were all taken care of. And, that is not taking into account that with hs your child is almost receiving one on one instruction-things will go faster, but I digress!

On a higher note, we will pass the 750 hour mark this next week!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #48
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Michelle--you are correct, I do not have to be logging hours this year. I feel like it's good practice for me though. I know when I first started keeping track of hours I had a terrible time remembering to write stuff down. I'm doing much better now, and hopefully by next year when we do have to keep hours I'll be a pro. It also helps me sometimes seeing where we need more practice, and so on.

As far as how we keep hours, yes we break it down. I see you are in IL, and I'm not sure what they require. We have to have 600 core hours, so we have to break it down at least some. I use a teacher's plan book, put a subject or two in each column and jot down what we did for each day. I usually do it as we go along and I'm not real specific....with reading for example, I may write that we read for an hour but we really only read for 50 minutes and I don't write what we read. I'll see if I can remember to take a picture but it's kind of messy.

As for us...It's Sunday evening and I already feel like my week is shot. Tomorrow public school is out so my brother asked me to watch my nephew--this is "Jon" from the other thread. Tuesday I'm in charge of food for a family in the church that just had a miscarriage. Wednesdays are always crazy with gymnastics and church, Thursday is Keegan's appointment and I plan on doing some shopping while I'm in Springfield, then Friday the kids are having 3 kids from church over for a sleepover. It makes me tired just thinking about it.

ETA: Oh yeah, Kristin--you do NOT have to file a letter of intent. Like PP said, the schools *like* you to because they get funding if you do. So sometimes they will try to push you into it and act like you have to, but you don't. We aren't filing.

Last edited by jen_batten; 01-20-2013 at 08:33 PM.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #49
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jen - I know it was a few days ago now, but back to the slow readers LOL, 20 minutes for one kid to read the Bible reader sounds like heaven. It generally takes Zack a good hour to read it. But, that is because he is stopping every 3 words to complain or pick at something or talk about something or just generally get distracted. And, if he reads it a second time, he takes just as long and gets mad because he already read it once. *sigh* If he just reads, he can do a page in about 5-7 minutes. Yes, I believe his problem is mostly confidence and his attitude. The other issue he has is remembering the special sounds. We are working on that. I've started using using flash cards daily...sort of. He responds very well to using a white board, don't know why. So, I have my card, but I write each blend on the whiteboard as we go along. I am using a variation of the colors idea you gave. I write the sound in black and then after he tells me what it says, I but letters in front or back (or both) to make a word and have him read it. I really think this is helping. Plus, he is definitely gaining confidence this week. Yay! We will see what this week holds.

We all have weeks that we don't get as much done. I've had many lately. You'll be fine. Congrats on hitting 600hrs!! :cheerleader:

Kristin - Woo Hoo for 750 hrs!!

mevans - So true about watching our kids get things and mature! It's awesome to see. It also builds my confidence in my ability to teach them also.

As for us, we got in a little school on Saturday. We often do school on Saturday when my husband is at work to make up for not doing it once (or more) during the week. We did have a very good week last week. I'm really hoping for that again. I'm a little frustrated with how much we have been sick in the last few weeks (constantly with 2 rounds of the stomach virus, the flu and now colds with fevers). A couple of the kids have had fevers in the last couple of days. I hope the others don't have it tomorrow and we can keep going. Nothing special for tomorrow though.

Hope everyone has a good week!!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #50
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Hi mamas! We are a family of 7 and homeschool our 1st grade son and 3rd grade daughter. I do also have a 3yo and 4yo that do preschool work but our school focus is mostly on the older 2 at this point. We use Time4learning online curriculum to work on core subjects with additional math practice on IXL.com and an eclectic approach to supplemental materials. Our goal this year was to make great progress with core subjects since both my children were previously struggling while using Oak Meadow curriculum. They are doing *really* great with the curriculum change and school has gone really well for us. Back in September I went through pretty much every curriculum option I could think of and even considered sending them to public school for the first time, since I was very upset that they were not making progress with our previous Waldorf inspired homeschool experience.

I love how much they've learned and that it fits so nicely into our busy days. Our late afternoons each day are usually packed with something that takes us out of the house, so it is really important to me that school is crossed off the list before we leave. They usually work on their school work intensely for a good 2-3 hours daily in the AM and really seem to enjoy it. Because we've gotten to a place that we are making great progress and are so organized (thanks to program, not me LOL) it has left lots of time for extras. They frequently work on art or science stuff after lunch just because they want to in the afternoons. I really like that they have the time to explore their interests and that we have more time for things like swim lessons, etc. We actually just took them to the Pacific Science Center yesterday and spent the day wandering around Seattle, then took the ferry home. We had such a great time! Interesting that a thorough evaluation of our homeschool priorities last fall has made such a huge positive change in our life.

Anyway, look forward to chatting with this group more

Last edited by FernHollow; 01-21-2013 at 08:57 AM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote