Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chores

My kids are 7, 5, 5, 2, 2 and 3 mos We have a chore chart on the wall. I'll include a link to the one we have. They get a ticket for every chore they do. If they don't do one, they get one taken away. Each ticket is worth $.05. Every weekend, we have a ticket/family night. It costs 5 tickets (VERY easy to achieve) to join in. Then, they can "buy" treats (a popsicle, small piece of candy, or something else fun but not too overboard and only 1 sugary item) and we watch a movie or play a game. Any tickets they don't use, they trade for money. The kids LOVE this. We were supposed to have it tonight, but my in-laws came to dinner at the last minute. We felt they would rather see their grandparents than do our regular night and we would just turn in all tickets for money. We were wrong. They were disappointed and asked why their grandparents had to come tonight.

As for what my kids do, they all pick up toys (not officially a chore to get a ticket for), put their dirty and clean clothing away (no ticket), make their beds, set the table, clear the table, wipe the table, and unload some of the dishwasher (basically just the silverware because they can't reach the cabinet). The 5 year olds and 7 year old also vacuum, sweep and mop the kitchen floor, dust, help cook, put groceries away, feed the turtles and cats and soon the 7 year old will be cleaning the cat boxes. They are also going to be learning to do laundry and fold laundry very soon, probably next week. I already ask them to change from the washer to the dryer sometimes.

Kids can do a lot more than we think they can, especially if we take the time to teach them and find ways to adapt things to them, like using chairs. I know mine can do more than they do now. We are working on it. They don't do each thing every day, BTW.

Here is the chore chart we use.

http://www.confessionsofahomeschoole...art-cards.html

I change the way it is used just slightly, but it looks almost exactly the same. I also am about to change mine and put the names on the wall next to the chart instead of actually on it giving me 7 days across because my kids try to do things everyday and I want them to be able to. They will put their tickets in an envelope instead of on the chart. Ultimately though, it looks basically the same.

This was way more than you wanted. Sorry.

Advertisement

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-20-2013 at 07:51 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
megshmeg
Registered Users
seller
seller

I remember seeing a blog post somewhere about great chores for certain ages. I will find it for you. My DS is almost 4 and he makes his bed (with my help), puts his shoes away, picks up his room, puts away the silverware out of the dishwasher into the drawer when I unload it each day. He "helps" with whatever cleaning I am doing.. I usually spray the dust cloth with my Mrs Meyer's cleaning solution & have him go about dusting furniture.
megshmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, everyone! I'm going to start with this tomorrow. I think it'll be rough going at first because they're used to me doing everything for them but they've got to pitch in!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
toys2teach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids are 5, 4, and 2. They are happy to help with chores I give them such as unloading the silverware, spot cleaning the floors with a rag, dusting and such. The main issue I have is the general picking up after themselves. They often leave their shoes out, dishes end up on the floor instead of in the sink. Clothing gets scattered about as they decide to strip down randomly- lol. Wrappers from a fruit strip or raisen boxes on the floor....so on..... I have started a reward system for this. I bought some Pom Pom balls from Walmart or a craft store. Every time I notice someone remembering to put their dishes/toy/trash away without a reminder they will get a ball added to the main reward jar. I just have one jar so they can work as a team. When it gets full they get a treat. I also use it for when I notice great manners or they do something extra kind. Once we got ice cream and another time we went to the local bouncy play house. They love it and it has definitely helped. Once it becomes a habit for them I will phase out rewarding actions that I really expect. I don't want then to think they should get a reward every time they pick up after themselves, but for now it is just what we needed!

Last edited by toys2teach; 01-20-2013 at 08:35 PM.
toys2teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almacham View Post
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to start with this tomorrow. I think it'll be rough going at first because they're used to me doing everything for them but they've got to pitch in!
You never know, they might like it! I usually put Pandora on and dance around with them while we clean. And if they take initiative and ask to do a new chore, I let them at least attempt to do it, even though I could probably do it 100x faster.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is almost 3 & she's been picking up toys & putting them in the toybox, on the shelf, etc., for about 18 mos. She's been clearing her own plate & putting it on the counter or in the dishwasher for nearly that long as well. Those are part of being "a good citizen of the republic" & don't get allowance or anything. She helps a bit w/ laundry & tries with vacuuming, sweeping, & mopping (but isn't very effective yet ). She does help with putting garbage & recyclables out every week...we give her $2 in dimes for helping...more because it takes her a looooong time to put the coins in her piggy bank than because we want to pay her she does take the responsibility very seriously, though
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Heather, thank you - it's not too much at all and I appreciate your help. Toys2teach, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddys_mama View Post
You never know, they might like it! I usually put Pandora on and dance around with them while we clean. And if they take initiative and ask to do a new chore, I let them at least attempt to do it, even though I could probably do it 100x faster.
Playing music is a good idea. My baby girl loves to dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
DD is almost 3 & she's been picking up toys & putting them in the toybox, on the shelf, etc., for about 18 mos. She's been clearing her own plate & putting it on the counter or in the dishwasher for nearly that long as well. Those are part of being "a good citizen of the republic" & don't get allowance or anything. She helps a bit w/ laundry & tries with vacuuming, sweeping, & mopping (but isn't very effective yet ). She does help with putting garbage & recyclables out every week...we give her $2 in dimes for helping...more because it takes her a looooong time to put the coins in her piggy bank than because we want to pay her she does take the responsibility very seriously, though
They do have a piggy bank... Maybe I could set up some kind of reward system.

Last edited by Almacham; 01-21-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: autocorrect error
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used the list on this blog to help set up a chore list for my kids.
http://thehappyhousewife.com/home-ma...ores-for-kids/
Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

My kids are almost 4 (dd) and almost 6 (ds). They both clean up toys and their own dishes off the table. DS wipes down the table and helps put laundry away.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD (Just turned 7)
Make Bed
Put dirty clothes in hamper in the laundry room
Daily self care (brushing teeth,washing face,brushing hair and so on)
Feeding her rabbit
Feeding the dog and pigs with supervision
Set the plates or bowls for breakfast /dinner /lunch
Clearing her space after meals
Cleaning her room
Dusting (only because she thinks its fun)
Folds towels and puts them away
Helps load, unload and put away groceries
Takes the trash out
Taking a shower or bath daily
Putting away clean clothes
Read for 20 min
Puts dishes away after I wash them
Washes tables (classroom or kitchen)

DS (4)
Makes Bed
Puts dirty clothes in hamper
Daily self care with supervision
Cleans own room (every toy has a home and he knows where they go)
Setting the silverware for all meals
Clearing his place at the table when done
Folding rags and putting them away
Putting underwear,socks and Pj's away in dresser as he can't reach to hang things yet
Helps unload and put away groceries
Helps dry dishes
Drys Tables

They do get allowances but it is not tied into chores. They do chores because they are a member of our family and they need to help as well as learn personal responsibility .