Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #221
BCGamerMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: parents of autistic children

Hello Ladies
Just wanted to do a little intro, I've been around here for years but never really got into any of the chat threads just FSOT and occasional Q&A.

I've been trying to find a good place online to talk to other ASD parents that might have similar lifestyles and I had a duh! moment when it occurred to me that there was probably a DS forum for parents of special needs kids and so here I am.

I'm Canadian, mom of 3, my 9 year old DS has Dx of SPD (at 3),ADD (at 8), and PDD-NOS(finally in November), my 4 year old DD is NT, and my 2.5 year old DD has just started OT for SPD and we see the pediatrician next week to start the process of getting her in for ASD assessment. I work part time, happily do not home school so I'm dealing with IEP stuff and therapy and a husband that works out of town and trying to retain a babysitter that is brave enough to handle my brood so I can make it to the arena to skate twice a week for roller derby so I don't lose my mind and end up curled up in the fetal position rocking back and forth while reciting the theme song from which ever disney movie has been playing on endless loop this week.

Advertisement

Check out our Journey of parenting and Autism Velcro and Video Games
I always love a good trade, see my ISO / IHA here
BCGamerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #222
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGamerMom View Post
Hello Ladies
Just wanted to do a little intro, I've been around here for years but never really got into any of the chat threads just FSOT and occasional Q&A.

I've been trying to find a good place online to talk to other ASD parents that might have similar lifestyles and I had a duh! moment when it occurred to me that there was probably a DS forum for parents of special needs kids and so here I am.

I'm Canadian, mom of 3, my 9 year old DS has Dx of SPD (at 3),ADD (at 8), and PDD-NOS(finally in November), my 4 year old DD is NT, and my 2.5 year old DD has just started OT for SPD and we see the pediatrician next week to start the process of getting her in for ASD assessment. I work part time, happily do not home school so I'm dealing with IEP stuff and therapy and a husband that works out of town and trying to retain a babysitter that is brave enough to handle my brood so I can make it to the arena to skate twice a week for roller derby so I don't lose my mind and end up curled up in the fetal position rocking back and forth while reciting the theme song from which ever disney movie has been playing on endless loop this week.
we don't use this thread on here much anymore but there are tons of moms in the sn section with asd kiddos. I have a 6 yo ds that is autistic, 8 yo ds I call semi-typical, and 8 yo dsd that is nt. they all go to public school although we still have plenty of work to do at home
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #223
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGamerMom View Post
Hello Ladies

I just wanted to say hello to a fellow Roller Derby mama! Actually it is Dh and my youngest kiddo who skate derby, I just hang out with them. So far the guys have been unable to plead enough to get me out there. I told them it is because they don't want to deal with teaching me (I skate just fine but my kids get their SPD from me and I have an inability to judge distance while moving meaning I hit things a lot and it freaks me out). I also reminded them that in the end they would expect me to skate with the girls and I love my guys too much for that. I spose I could always go team zebra and probably will eventually if I can get over that whole "too many things happening at once" thing I have going on.

My oldest is 11 and diagnosed PDD NOS, SPD and Anxiety NOS. I am presently trying to figure out how to juggle a very unsuccessful year of homeschooling (previous years have gone well but he is hitting puberty and it is getting ugly here), OT, ST, social skills group and maybe ABA plus work him in with a new doctor. Meanwhile my youngest is 7 and diagnosed Mood Disorder (bipolar) and ADHD (his doctor says that probably isn't accurate it is probably just his manic phase) and I am trying to work out his medication. I've found that Derby is what keeps Tharen (the little one) level and I would keep him in the rink with the guys all day every day if I could. Heck I would have his guys live with us and teach his home school classes if I could pull it off. He respects them more than he respects anyone else in his life. Unfortunately the rink decided to cut our practices back to one a week and broke his heart. We can practice with the girls but they won't take on the liability of him skating with them so only dh can skate. Dh teaches Taekwondo 4 days a week and our whole family is involved with that but Tharen isn't into it (it was really more for Kearnan). If I miss too many classes I can feel my grip on sanity start to slip. Sometimes it is just easier working with some one else's kids than dealing with my own.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #224
naynaygoesrawr
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What are some signs you saw in your children around 14 months? My little girl stopped babbling, does not point to anyrhing, has bad communication, does not turn to her name even if I yell near her. She also does not like being held or touched unless it's on her terms. She is getting evaluated for speech Tuesday by aiu which is early intervention. Should I mention this? Also her brother does have ppd nos but was talking and everything very well as well as early.

Sent from my SM-G900T using diaperswappers.com mobile app
Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #225
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you checked out the mchat? http://www.firstsigns.org/downloads/m-chat.PDF

Its the standard for evaluating autism.

My son was 15months when I realized he was autistic. There were signs before but his brother was having signifcant health problems at the time so I didn't put it together. My ds is now 8 so I'm having to remember back a ways. He is also classically austistic so his signs were more obvious. I'd guess these are all signs from baby-2 years old.

He had no interest in other kids, even his brother. I remember one time they were taking a bath together and my autistic son actually laughed when his brother splashed him. It was the only time he really acknowledged him, even in the tub.
Didn't point, didn't talk or babble, didn't play on a phone, played with toys how autistic kids tend to do(lining up, looking at parts, no pretend), a very different cry from most kids, appeared deaf, didn't ever ask for attention, I nursed and he never once pulled at my shirt, and he just appeared so serious, and kind of sad.

He also did this thing since he was a baby. Any suspicious situation he looks at with one eye open. As an infant when he woke up from a nap he would open one eye first to see who was holding him. If he liked you then he would open both, if he didn't know you then he shut it.

Didn't smile at me unless I tickled him or other physical stuff. No eye contact with other people, a little with me when nursing.

I would mention it, maybe show them the mchat. Most people know about it now but just in case. I'd also think about getting her hearing tested.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #226
naynaygoesrawr
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Suzi, I did and it recommended speaking to the doctor. She had her 1 yr check up last Friday (a little less than 2 months late). The doctor was concerned she has dropped completely off of her chart for weight she is 16 lbs. She diagnosed her as failure to thrive so we have to go for bloodwork. Also she wants us to make an appt at children's hospital developmental unit to have her evaluated. On top of that her evaluation with the alliance for infants and toddlers is the 18th. The pediatrician wanted her to have both of them done. I don't know why she isn't gaining weight she eats very well and also eats alot on top of that. Greek yogurt lots of fruits and veggies as well as eggs, chickeb, steak, etc. Plus the delays are what concerned her.

Sent from my SM-G900T using diaperswappers.com mobile app
Old 08-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #227
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would post in the general parenting section and see if any moms have ideas. There are a lot of moms that have had kiddos with different issues similar to that. My oldest had physical developmental issues. He met failure to thrive criteria but never had a huge drop. We got him straightened out when he was 2.5. Then my youngest son has autism but had no real physical problems. I can't imagine if I had to deal with both issues in one dc. HUGS!

Tags
autism, potty training