Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What kind of chicken do you buy?

I buy the bulk frozen chicken from Costco because of the cost. But I don't like the idea of it being "enhanced" up to 20% of water or something like that. I'm dipping my toes into being more informed on my food choices and this is a high priority one, because we eat it frequently.

What do you buy? Local organic? Brand organic? Something else?

And what does it mean enhanced with water? To make it appear bigger than it is?

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What kind of chicken do you buy?

I can't answer about the water, not sure. But we buy the organic whole chickens at Costco, a two pack. For organic chicken, it's the best deal we have found. Costco also sells thighs, breasts and possibly other cuts packaged individually. I imagine in Ferndale you may have options to purchase from local farmers, join a meat co-op or at a farmer's market. Check out this site where you can search by state, it looks like there is at least one with chickens right in Ferndale:

http://www.eatwild.com/products/washington.html

This made me look through the list again for other options in the Seattle area.
Greenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

I buy the non organic whole roasters at costco, or whole roasters at aldis. I would prefer organic but at least poultry is not allowed to be given antibiotics. I hope to get there in time.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwife View Post
I can't answer about the water, not sure. But we buy the organic whole chickens at Costco, a two pack. For organic chicken, it's the best deal we have found. Costco also sells thighs, breasts and possibly other cuts packaged individually. I imagine in Ferndale you may have options to purchase from local farmers, join a meat co-op or at a farmer's market. Check out this site where you can search by state, it looks like there is at least one with chickens right in Ferndale:

http://www.eatwild.com/products/washington.html

This made me look through the list again for other options in the Seattle area.
I've never noticed it in the frozen section. I'll have to double check. I remember thinking how expensive the non frozen organic chicken was. I'll definitely check out that site. Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
I buy the non organic whole roasters at costco, or whole roasters at aldis. I would prefer organic but at least poultry is not allowed to be given antibiotics. I hope to get there in time.
Baby steps, right?!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I mostly buy whole roasters local-ish. We get a brand called FreeBird (freebirdchicken.com) from our local co-op and they are coming from Pennsylvania to us in New York. FreeBird isn't necessarily organic, but free range and presumably allowed to scratch around for bugs and stuff. It's delicious chicken.