Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

How did you come to use cloth...

And what was your first diaper?

Me:
Ds #2 was a super soaker. By his second week, he would out pee every sposie I tried, and I was changing him, his clothes, his bedding, and often my clothes several times per day and night. I was beginning to think he would sleep longer at night if only he was dry.

I remembered seeing a Motherease ad in a magazine, so I got online to check out cloth. I bought a few small Sandys diapers which were huge on him. I found a cheap cover from a WAHM called Sweet Cheeks. It was a pull-on of one layer of windpro with lastin elastic exposed. But, it worked! He was able to wear it all night, and everything was dry. He was in cloth full time within a week.

The Sandys were around until he outgrew the small, but I switched to Airflow covers. When he moved up in size,I discovered WAHMs and became an addict. I am sure late dh wished I never found anything other than ME dipes. New dh has no idea what he is in for when we conceive.

Advertisement

dd 10yo
dd rescued, as her daddy says, 1/31/14. Read her birth story http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...8#post17225488
mothergooseofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
LionMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We started because I was trying to find a way to save money. My only cloth diapering friend had started with a full set of fuzzibunz that she swears buy but I didn't have the upfront cost. So I got on CL and found someone selling 35 (first version) Tiny Tush one size fitteds with boosters for $50 I got those and some flip covers at a cloth diaper store I found in town and that's how we started!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
I wanted to save money, I knew dh would flip out over the cost of sposies and since I want several kids, I didn't want him to put the breaks on after one just because of costs like sposies. So I did about 90 hours of research and finally settled on 6 BG 4.0s, prefolds (3 different sizes) and flip and Thirsties covers, plus some accessories. I originally spent about $500 which was mostly gift money. Since then my mil has given me her credit card to order about $400 more. Lol. But we've definitely saved money and everything will be in good shape for the next lo. I don't expect I'll ever use sposies on a regular basis, I love cloth, and saving money!

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How did you come to use cloth...

Everytime I put ds1 in a sposie I was so disappointed. This was before I even knew about or did research on cds
1 bc he did not have a fluffy butt--which was strange I thought
2 I hated throwing away things and it grossed me out they were going to a landfill
3 there was leaks or blowouts every other diaper change
4 those gel things from disposables were always all over ds1 no matter if diaper was on for 2 minutes or overnight.

I had this breastfeeding support group I use to visit with once a month and they talked about cding. I thought this was crazy at first (before I had baby I went to these meetings). Then the more I went the more I fell in love with cds. They would show them to me and showed me all the different options.

So I went home and did the research and that was it!!! My first diaper stash consisted of 12 bg 3.0 and it grew to 24 all BG 4.0 that was all I needed.

Last edited by dagmomma; 01-24-2013 at 09:58 AM.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always assumed I'd use cloth. I've been into environmental causes since grade school, so it seemed like the logical thing. When I got pregnant with my first, I bought a lot of used prefolds and various covers on eBay for about $60. Many of the prefolds were Gerber ones, and most of the covers leaked, but we eventually figured it out and haven't looked back.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My SIL sent me a link to gDiapers about year before we were even tcc. I got hooked and bought a cloth stash for day 1. Couldn't tell you the first diap I bought but the first couple he wore were KL0. From the hospital he wore a BG XS.

We did do gDiapers in Sm and Med but it was never our main diap.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
I always assumed I'd use cloth. I've been into environmental causes since grade school, so it seemed like the logical thing. When I got pregnant with my first, I bought a lot of used prefolds and various covers on eBay for about $60. Many of the prefolds were Gerber ones, and most of the covers leaked, but we eventually figured it out and haven't looked back.
ug, what a way to start!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Kelbel81906
Registered Users
seller

I was a SAHM, we were very tight on money, and I felt so horrible and wasteful dragging the bags of diapers down to the curb. When my oldest was 3 months old, I started researching and planned out how I was going to propose it to DH. To my surprise, he said yes right away, without hesitation. I purchased 18 BG 3.0's and immediately was addicted. Nicki's Diapers is local to me, so after I decided to branch out a bit and try different options, I started shopping at their old warehouse location and saw a job posting, and the rest is pretty much history
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH is an environmental nut, so he convinced me to try it when I was pregnant with our first. I thought it was gross and was really hoping he'd get over it.

The first diapers we bought and used were XS Thirsties AIOs. Loved them, still have them, and I'm excited to use them again on our third kid.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD had horrible rashes and I was spending a fortune for Huggies pure and natural. One day my mom came home telling me about a coworker's daughter who was trying out a diaper called "Bum Genius". I went online and thought they were interesting, then got some organic flips off eBay. I got hooked fast! I think I have tried about 75% of the diapers out there! And have now settled on itti bitti, mutts, a few elbees and BG 3.0 for nights. DD2 has never worn a sposie.
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote