View Poll Results: Would your DH/SO take your child into the hospital?
Yes, of course 158 91.86%
No Way 2 1.16%
Only if it was something really serious 9 5.23%
Other 3 1.74%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Would your DH/SO go to the hospital?

I was talking with a friend about our son being in the hospital and my DH taking him into the ER while I stayed home with the older 2. She said she can't believe my DH would go, that I should be grateful because her DH would never take one of their kids to the hospital.

I guess recently their 14yr old was celebrating her birthday and their 5 year old daughter broke her foot during the party. He refused to take her to the hospital and also refused to stay with the party kids because he was too intimidated. The 5 year old had to wait 3 hours for the party to end and parents to pic up before my friend could then take her in to the ER.

She said she doesn't think he would even go in to the hospital even if one of their kids was born early in the NICU.

I just can't get my head around this. Seriously if that was my DH I would be telling him he's taking her in or I am leaving and taking her, too bad so sad. It's just odd to me, when you decide to be a parent you have the responsibility of keeping them well and safe and sometimes that means getting over being uncomfortable and sucking it up.

It got me wondering though are there lots of men/people like this?

So what would your SO/DH do?

Aim Vegan, BWing, mama to our 26 wk Micro Preemie miracle Cazzy. Kicking Fanconi Anemia's Butt NEGU

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.~John Wooden"
ISO: WCW cuffed longies or bloomers size Small
momgoddesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Would your DH/SO go to the hospital?

Of course he would. He often takes them to Urgent Care currently as needed because I'm pregnant and don't want to sit in a room full of sick kids. Now, if I weren't pregnant, my personal preference is for me to go, because I get too stressed sitting at home waiting to hear.

When DD1 was in the NICU and I was still recovering from my c-section he got up an hour early every day and went to the hospital to sit in on rounds for her and then called to give me an update on how she was doing. He then came straight to the hospital after work to hold her until shift change when we went home and went to bed. He would never hesitate to take any of our children for necessary medical care.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

He would and he has. I would and I have. He actually prefers to be the one to do it. I think he wants to protect me from the stress.

If I am understanding the situation described in the OP, the OP was hosting a party so one parent needed to stay to host while the other went with the injured child to the ER. I can't imagine a father refusing to do either and forcing his child to wait in pain for his emotional convenience. He would have to have a bonified mental disorder of some sort for that to even be considered. Even then, I'd start calling the parents of the teens and explaining the situation so the party could end early.
Melissa-Wife, mother to DS 4/02 and DD 4/07, DS 7/08 DD 7/13
ISO: my lost shaker of salt

Last edited by mcpforever; 01-24-2013 at 01:41 PM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
My Mood:

if something like that were to happen we'd drop the other kid off at our parents or have the neighbors watch them and we'd both go to the ER with the sick child.
Erica , wife to Ben, momma to Steven11.06 Emily9.10 Matthew 8.13
Forever in my heart, always on my mind (3.09, 5.09, 12.11)
"Life's too short to buy green bananas"
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
Yes without hesitation
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Registered Users

DH would take a kid but he wouldn't know ANYTHING seriously...nothing...birthday, allergies, vaccine schedule, previous injuries, symptoms, etc...he is clueless about the specifics of the kids, and has horrible memory, he wouldn't be able to tell them where they were born, type of pregnancy, any complications etc.

So, needless to say I take the kids for anything like that.

Friday Emma is going under General anesthesia on friday and DH is staying home with the baby...he would just sit there and not be much help anyway...this way he is helpful...cross your fingers nothing happens to the baby
Lanicia Mama to 3 crazy kiddos - A - 14 P - 6 E - 5 and a little baby J - 2

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Registered Users

of course my DH would take our kids to the hospital for something serious! I cant believe your friends DH, that poor little one

like a PP said he wouldnt know anything important, but he would get them there if thats where they needed to be
Mom to boys
DS1 (07/10) DS2 (10/11) DS3 (03/13)
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:

He would, but if only one of us could go it would be me because I deal with sickness better than he does.
Happily married Mama to 4 kids (14, 11, 6, 4)
And proud SurroMama to 2 beautiful boys

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y

yes. My DH would, definitely.

We prefer to go together for those types of things, so we both can hear all the info. But if we couldn't for whatever reason, yes, absolutely, he would take the kids if they needed to go.

Now, my DH's definition of an emergency may be different than mine.... but that is another thread. LOL
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Registered Users
My Mood:
I can't imagine not going myself or with him. I cant think of a reason that I wouldn't be there, BUT dh would do ANYTHING for the kids if necessary.
~Elizabeth RN~
Proud Mama to
Hannah (5/98), Parker(3/01), Sofia (7/03) and Lily(10/10)
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote