Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #51
peep_erz
Registered Users
seller

Re: Five days ago my daughter requested a hair cut... *before pic added

She does totally rock her new do!

Would I let my daughter do it? Yes. Would I be in hysterics? Yes.

My hair was always my own decision. Well except for my bangs when I wanted to keep my bangs. I liked them long and in my face. My parents hated them in my eyes so kept forcing me to cut them shorter than I liked. They were elated when I decided to grow them out all the way.

ANYWHO. I loved having long hair as a kid and I never wanted it cut. I liked to get it styled and trimmed but that was it. I finally decided to cut it shoulder length when I graduated high school an I shocked everyone. I was overwhelmed with happiness and sadness at the same time. I didn't bawl but I teared up and I couldn't figure out if I was happy or sad at that exact moment.

So yes I have my own hair issues. My daughter can have her own hair issues but it is up to her.

Advertisement

peep_erz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #52
PiecesOfKate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Looks adorable!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #53
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

She looks so proud and that cut is so cute, Danielle! Love it!!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #54
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She is absolutely beautiful in both pictures!!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #55
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Five days ago my daughter requested a hair cut...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I'm going to warn you now that this may not have the effect you want. My mother was that mean mom and I hate her for it. It has scarred our relationship in many ways and to this day I will not have hair past my shoulders, in fact most of the time I shave my head completely. My mother never let me cut my hair EVER. I had to wear long hair because she loved my long hair. I hated my hair. It was hot and miserable. I hated having it combed, hated that it was hard to care for (and it was almost impossible for me to care for it on my own until I was in my teens) just hated everything about it. I pleaded to cut my hair but was never allowed. Finally when I was 17 I shaved my head. I have not had hair past my shoulders since and shoulder length hair was even a brief style for me. I just can't stand my own hair and I still resent my mother for not allowing me the freedom to do what I wanted with my own hair. It is my hair and my body. I know for a fact she hates the way I wear my hair now I just can't be bothered to care. She also hates the way my kids wear their hair (ironic since they both have long hair) but again, I can't seem to find it in me to care.
Seriously Hate? That seems extreme unless she was that controlling in every area of your life and even then "hate" is a harsh word. As for resenting... I don't know, I think that we will all make mistakes as mothers with our kids and pray when they are mothers, they will understand this and let a lot of things go. My mom made plenty of mistakes with me, but love and forgiveness covers them. Sometimes we are "danged if we do and danged if we don't"... maybe I would have been upset at my mom if she didn't let me have my hair short when I wanted it, but as a teen and young adult I was upset she let me have it that short! As an adult, I just get a twinge of sadness when my children think I'm a boy when they see me in pictures. Also, side question: do you have dress codes with your kids? Like "no boxers showing" "no miniskirts", etc...

I think when my daughter starts "blossoming" and you can obviously tell she's a girl; I'll let her decide if she wants it at her shoulders (that's the shortest I'll allow...we farm and ponytails are practical). Until then I'll stick to my longer hair rule (passed shoulders) and hope she doesn't hate me for it. I actually hope it's not even as issue! haha.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #56
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow.. for some reason, earlier I couldn't get the pages to load, so I just replied to OP and left it at that. Now I have read all the pages and I find this so interesting, reading all the different replies and how many mamas would not let their DD's get short haircuts. I had no idea this was such an issue.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #57
mom2jirms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cute hair cut for a beautiful little girl!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #58
Newton
Registered Users

If she wanted it, sure, it would be easier than long tangly hair! Right now she wants her hair to grow longer
Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #59
Anna0623
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your dd is so cute in her new hair cut. If my dd wanted her hair cut I would definitely allow it, not sure that dh would. We just trimmed dd's hair but it was against her will, her hair was uneven and we only took 2 inches off the bottom.
Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #60
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Adorable! I will absolutely let my child have their hair however they want it. They are not my property or extensions of myself. I understand not allowing a certain style b/c it doesn't agree with hair type or not allowing it to be dyed but I really can't wrap my head around straight up not letting your kid cut it at all. Sure, I had a bad haricut here and there but it has always grown back.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote