Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
allisonrose
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sleeping after a miscarriage

Just last week I discovered that I miscarried. Since finding out, I have barely been able to sleep. Even when I was in the hospital and was given Ambien, I only got 6 or so hours of sleep. Other nights it has been 4 hours in a row or sometimes two blocks of 2 or so hours.

I know my loss is still quite recent so when does it get better? Any suggestions on what I can do? (My doctor offered to send me home with a prescription for Ambien, I declined because I cosleep with my two year old.)

Advertisement

allisonrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleeping after a miscarriage

I miscarried Dec. 7 at 7 weeks and I really had a hard time sleeping. For about the first 2 weeks I didn't sleep much and then I did better, but then I regressed again about 2 weeks ago. I took melatonin but that didn't help me all the time, it does help relax you though, it helped me get to sleep just not stay asleep. Then I tried Advil pm. I'm really sensitive to sleep aids but I'd I took a half of an Advil pm it helps me stay asleep but didn't make me completely unresponsive. I also took a couple of anti anxieties along the way, those do knock me out. I tried unisom, but I don't like it. I also tried progressive muscle relaxation which helped a little.
amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
finleyjudemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
After I delivered my son sleeping (at 24 weeks) my OB prescribed me Ambien...

So sorry...I didn't read your whole post. I'm so sorry for your loss. There is no time frame on when it will get better. There is no time frame on when things will hit you. I had my very first loss in March of 04 and it didn't really hit me until that June. Everyone is different. Cry when you need to, talk about it, journal. When I had my very first m/c. I bought a book called Mommy, Please don't cry, there are no tears in Heaven and that did help.

(((hugs)))

Last edited by finleyjudemommy; 01-19-2013 at 07:03 AM.
finleyjudemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:
I am having trouble sleeping too. Night is when the grief is so much worse. I am going to try upping my physical activity to tire me out but I am waiting until a week past delivery to start. I really dont want to take medication.

Kiwi mum of 4 including Benjamin born still at 19 weeks on Jan 17th 2013.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So sorry for your loss mama . I had the same problem and ended up taking Motrin pm. Just a half dose because my kids were going through a phase of waking up. I don't think it helped. It took a couple weeks before I could sleep well. Feel better soon.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
allisonrose
Registered Users
seller
seller

I switched off with my hubby last night and coslept with my 4 y/o rather than my 2 y/o. I fell asleep with him around 8:30, half woke a few times and slept till about 7:30. I guess I really needed that.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

So, so sorry for your loss and your heartbreak. I wish I could give you a date to look forward to, knowing it will be better... but I think the truth is that everyone is different, and some days will always be worse than others. It's been more than three years since I lost my first daughter (3rd trimester) and there are nights I still have trouble.

Wishing you peace. I will light a candle for your little one.

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
lyterae
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry for your loss. I think it was around the 3.5-4 week point that I finally started sleeping all night and it was just because I was so exhausted. For the first few weeks I was staying up very late at night until I couldn't help but fall asleep.

We are at about 7 weeks since we lost our baby (11 weeks along) and there are still nights that I am up all night or have nightmares.

As someone already said, nighttime is the worst time. It's when I'm finally quiet and alone and have time to think.
lyterae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

it's so hard and like Ten said...there is no set in stone date that makes it all better. Everyone grieves in their own way. I still grieve over the m/c I had 4 years ago.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
allisonrose
Registered Users
seller
seller

I seem to be in a pattern of sleeping lousy for a couple of nights then crashing for 10-11 hours overnight. Better than what it was.

Erica - Thanks for your comment. Yesterday I was chatting with a friend who also had a miscarriage and she said something about moving on or forward or something. My thought was geez this just happened.