Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: I am about to turn psycho mom

My 4 yr old son does this all night long. It drives us crazy. We tell him over and over to go to sleep. He will even wake his brother yelling to us up stairs.

Advertisement

l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #12
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
Flame away if you want but we charge our children toys for each question they ask after it's time for bed. Example if DD wants to ask why is the sky blue it will cost her her favorite stuffed animal. They get there toys back the next night if they stay in bed.
We do this, too. I remind my kids before bed every night, but that they can get up to go potty or if they have a nightmare. Otherwise it will cost them. I also "reward" them for staying in bed all night with breakfast beverage of choice (milk instead of water).

We also have the rule that all children must be in their rooms with the door closed by 8:00, but they can stay up and read as long as they want. So we keep a little lamp and pile of books by every bed. They are allowed out of their rooms at 7:00am when their clock radios turn on.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You have to mean what you say. It sounds like she knows if she nags you enough, you'll give in. When my newly 5 year old does this. Consequences happen. He rarely does it anymore. Be strong!!
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Eek! Mine started doing that at 2yrs - are you saying it will return?!

To solve ours, I went back to what we do with excessively annoying behavior during the day; into your room with the door closed until you are ready to be nice. Sorry you're going through that. I hate it when I get to the end of my rope!

She has a gate up and the door open at night and LOVES that little bit of freedom, so now when she's put in bed - especially if the bottom lip starts trembling for no good reason - I remind her, you stay in your bed & quiet and the door can stay open! I usually give one warning (point back to bed, if you are up again the door closes) before following through.

Is there some sort of extra comfort/desire of her that you can remove when she does this? If not, try silent return to bed with ABSOLUTELY NO discussion to her. (I've pretended to talk on the phone to a friend to make it clear I'm not giving child attention & that's worked - again on younger kids tho.)
Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #15
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
Flame away if you want but we charge our children toys for each question they ask after it's time for bed. Example if DD wants to ask why is the sky blue it will cost her her favorite stuffed animal. They get there toys back the next night if they stay in bed.
I think I'm in love! I'm adopting this method as my kids get older. AbbieJack - do you recall what age you started this?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGiggles
Eek! Mine started doing that at 2yrs - are you saying it will return?!

To solve ours, I went back to what we do with excessively annoying behavior during the day; into your room with the door closed until you are ready to be nice. Sorry you're going through that. I hate it when I get to the end of my rope!

She has a gate up and the door open at night and LOVES that little bit of freedom, so now when she's put in bed - especially if the bottom lip starts trembling for no good reason - I remind her, you stay in your bed & quiet and the door can stay open! I usually give one warning (point back to bed, if you are up again the door closes) before following through.

Is there some sort of extra comfort/desire of her that you can remove when she does this? If not, try silent return to bed with ABSOLUTELY NO discussion to her. (I've pretended to talk on the phone to a friend to make it clear I'm not giving child attention & that's worked - again on younger kids tho.)
This. We just shut his door and ignore him. Once he's asleep I open it again.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #17
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

What about putting music on or a white noise machine? Or would that make her yell louder? I guess you just have to be firm and follow through.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
hollydawn
Registered Users
seller

I feel your pain. I hate bedtime.
hollydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD did this for a while. She got 2 questions and then the door closed. She HATES having her sort closed. After a couple of nights she got the hint and it mostly stopped. She'll still do it every once in a while but I just mention the door being shut and it stops

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGiggles View Post
I think I'm in love! I'm adopting this method as my kids get older. AbbieJack - do you recall what age you started this?
Around 2 1/2 or 3 I think.