Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: 6 months = too old?

Lalaith, 6 months is absolutely not too old. In fact, lots of people from indigenous tribes in Africa and all over the world actually wait to start EC until the baby is crawling, so you're not too late. I would be really careful about doing naked diaper free time all the time. There is something to be said for using a backup and using it so that you're not stressed out and so that the baby has a reason to signal, so that's something to keep in mind.

With regards to your 3-month old, monkeyscience, it's absolutely not late either. You can really start EC at any age. I don't think it would be confusing if you put a cloth diaper over the potty but I also think that that might not even be necessary. Really, you can just decide what way you want to do it, what works for your family and for your situation, and at 3 months, your baby will definitely follow suit, so long as you do it with gentleness and confidence. Excited for you both!!!

AndreaOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Registered Users

I did it for a few weeks when my daughter was first born. Then I stopped for a while, but I never stopped making the cues "poooooooo" and "peeeeeee." My daughter is now 5 months today. I have been using the little top hat potty (which is fabulous!) to catch mostly poops.

What I have started doing is always taking her diaper off when she wakes up in the morning or after a nap. Then I hover over the potty or toilet and make the cues. We catch lots of poops that way and sometimes pees.

I also change her diaper about every hour, unless I hear something going on down there before that. At each diaper change, I see if she needs to pee or poo in the potty. It works pretty well.

Yes, we still miss a lot of poops and pees. She still has plenty of wet diapers, but I feel good that I am helping meet her elimination needs as much as I can. I don't feel comfortable with naked time at the moment because it is too cold. I don't want to have an outrageous heating bill, just so we can do naked time. We will work on that more as it warms up.

Last edited by MrsSaraT; 01-28-2013 at 04:34 PM.
MrsSaraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Registered Users

Just for an update, I still haven't really gotten into the swing of EC. But my baby doesn't scream at being put on the potty any more. I did catch poos two days in a row a month or so ago, but with traveling, etc, I haven't done much. Right now, I'm working on a goal of having him sit on the potty 5 minutes a day (we play and stuff, so it isn't boring/upsetting for him). So far, no action, but I'm just going to keep it up for awhile and see where it goes. (I just put him on there during a diaper change, so it may not be the best timing yet.)
monkeyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
Registered Users

I started when my DD was around 2-3 months but catching pee is still too much of work for me lol:-) but don't remember last time she pooped in a diaper - she does it very predictable twice a day:-) and BTW catching poops gets only easier after introducing solids - it just takes lil more time for them to do their business
dilya6722 is offline   Reply With Quote